Dixie chopper battery won't stay charged

macec3(TX)

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dixie chopper mower. Will bypassing the seat safety switch drain the battery? I can't keep the battery charged. Been having the dead battery problem since spring when I bypassed the safety switch.
This battery went thru the coldest temps we have had in my lifetime this last winter. Maybe the cold ruined the battery. I just don't know.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove your battery & take to local auto parts store & ask them to please load test your battery, this should of no cost to you. If you have to purchase new battery make sure cold cranking amps are the same, date on battery is good, & size is the same with positive & negative posts are in same position as old battery or per Operators Manual. Do not bypass any Safety switches especially seat, they are there for your personal Safety.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the battery voltage after it’s been sitting. It’s likely the battery needs replacement. A battery with 300CCA would be the way to go. I recommend that you get a battery tender and keep it hooked up when not in use. Also, periodically check the electrolyte level in the battery and top up with distilled water, when necessary. Keep your terminals clean.
The seat safety switch isn’t draining the battery.

macec3(TX)

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the battery voltage after it’s been sitting. It’s likely the battery needs replacement. A battery with 300CCA would be the way to go. I recommend that you get a battery tender and keep it hooked up when not in use. Also, periodically check the electrolyte level in the battery and top up with distilled water, when necessary. Keep your terminals clean.
The seat safety switch isn’t draining the battery.
I checked the battery. It was bought in 3/21. I had forgot that it was changed this spring. I have a trickle charger on it now. The CCA is 325 or 350. Went ahead and took the bypass off the safety switch. Maybe it will stay charged. I will know in a day or so. Multi meter shows 12.8 volts.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
12.8 volts is more than adequate. However, will it hold a charge? If you leave it off of the charger for 12 to 24 hours, does the measured voltage fall off?

macec3(TX)

Forum Newbie
Threads
12.8 volts is more than adequate. However, will it hold a charge? If you leave it off of the charger for 12 to 24 hours, does the measured voltage fall off?
I will be checking it again tomorrow. I could have got a bad battery.

fixit1ddh

Threads
On My cub zturn 6 years old. A month ago if I let it sit over 1 day battery would be low. Would not start. A few weeks back I pulled the fuse after mowing. I put fuse in after setting 5 days and starts right up now. Must have a small draw so I'm going to get a battery disconnect and install.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As with all requests we need the equipment model off the serial number tag in order to look up the equipment; otherwise, everything is just guessing at the problem. IN this case we need to be looking at the electrical schematics to see if something is going on with the bypassing of the seat switch when the mower is off. There is multiple ways a battery can drain including self draining.