Diesel vs Gas

Homer2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am planning to purchase a 72 inch Scag. Should I go diesel?

rockncreek

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am planning to purchase a 72 inch Scag. Should I go diesel?
I don’t run Scags but I do have a couple of JD997R’s with 72”decks and love the diesels. Run two other JD’s gassers with 72” decks. Diesel is the way to go IMO but they are a lot more expensive.

Honest Abe

Threads
I don’t run Scags but I do have a couple of JD997R’s with 72”decks and love the diesels. Run two other JD’s gassers with 72” decks. Diesel is the way to go IMO but they are a lot more expensive.
I have a Ferris IS2600Z and so far it's been great. Plus if it should ever need engine work that's my son's forte' so I can get things done right but cheaper. Figure out how many hours per week times months you'll use it and what the cost to own difference is going to be, and that might help you decide . . . . . . .

Mr. Jeff 01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would go with exmark or gravely unleaded or electric no diesel zero turn.

Dwellonroof

Threads
I have a 2015 Scag TT with a cat diesel and a fellow offered to trade a new gasser even on it but I refused.
I have the diesel because my tractor is diesel and the only gas needed is 2 gallon of 2 cycle per year for the weed eater.

neighborbill

Threads
I have a Ferris IS2600Z and so far it's been great. Plus if it should ever need engine work that's my son's forte' so I can get things done right but cheaper. Figure out how many hours per week times months you'll use it and what the cost to own difference is going to be, and that might help you decide . . . . . . .
I bought a new IS2600Z last year and I'm running it for the first time now. I had a turf tirger (still have) . Scags dealer wouldn't budge on pricing. So, I went to Ferris Dealer and got a great deal on the Diesel. I think it's going to be harder to do maintenance on the Ferris but for the price difference, who cares. This Ferris is a lot faster then my Scags. Since I cut a lot of acreage it is important.
Diesel is the way to go, but be prepared to dig deep into your pockets. $$$$

Honest Abe

Threads
I bought a new IS2600Z last year and I'm running it for the first time now. I had a turf tirger (still have) . Scags dealer wouldn't budge on pricing. So, I went to Ferris Dealer and got a great deal on the Diesel. I think it's going to be harder to do maintenance on the Ferris but for the price difference, who cares. This Ferris is a lot faster then my Scags. Since I cut a lot of acreage it is important.
Diesel is the way to go, but be prepared to dig deep into your pockets. $$$$
I'm no spring chicken anymore but still try to do most of my own maintenance. The Ferris really is as easy to do as my JD, maybe easier. The one thing that I am particular about is making sure I buy my diesel fuel from a good source and only there. I've figured the fuel consumption is about a little more than 1 gallon per hour; but, with this rig I can cut almost twice as much area in that same time as with my old gas Gravely.

neighborbill

Threads
I'm no spring chicken anymore but still try to do most of my own maintenance. The Ferris really is as easy to do as my JD, maybe easier. The one thing that I am particular about is making sure I buy my diesel fuel from a good source and only there. I've figured the fuel consumption is about a little more than 1 gallon per hour; but, with this rig I can cut almost twice as much area in that same time as with my old gas Gravely.
I purchase the Clear/yellow diesel fuel now. But, I just found a source for red diesel (off road reduced tax) diesel and I am thinking about using it now. The cost is a hell of lot cheaper without the tax. I've read that except for the color ,there is no difference.
What are you burning now.
I'm 76 and do my own maintenance too. Fortunately, years ago I bought a "MaxJax" lift and I use it to get under my equipment. Works wonders.

Honest Abe

Threads
I purchase the Clear/yellow diesel fuel now. But, I just found a source for red diesel (off road reduced tax) diesel and I am thinking about using it now. The cost is a hell of lot cheaper without the tax. I've read that except for the color ,there is no difference.
What are you burning now.
I'm 76 and do my own maintenance too. Fortunately, years ago I bought a "MaxJax" lift and I use it to get under my equipment. Works wonders.
that's what I'm using, no issues, $4.19 per gallon. Can I come over and use your lift . . . . . ;-)

neighborbill

Threads
that's what I'm using, no issues, $4.19 per gallon. Can I come over and use your lift . . . . . ;-)
You said "that's what I'm using"?? Red or Clear. OUr red diesel is around 3.65 / gallon other wire$4.10 or more for the clear.
That lift was worth every penny.
Years ago I purchased for my cars. Change Oil save money get rich. Now I don't like crawling under it. But, when I use it, I use four jack stands. One for each corner of the lift. Very stable.