Did I ruin my zero turn?

Bobbydonchakno

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I’m an idiot. SMH

I did a tune up today on my hustler dash. I bought one of those metal block locks to remove the blades and install new ones. After I cleaned under the deck and change the blades I turned the mower on and turned the blades on and forgot to take the block out. FML. The blades never spun. The blades hit the block and the mower shut off. Did I do any real damage?
I did inspect the blade that hit the block and there wasn’t any damage or issues with the blade. I did cut my front yard and it appeared to be find but not sure if what I did might cause some big issue later. Or am I just being paranoid?

thanks

Rocky J

Threads
there is a aluminum key in-between the crankshaft and the flywheel that will sheer if it was anything to worry about and if the deck is not vibrating the spindle shaft is good enough.

Bobbydonchakno

Forum Newbie
Threads
there is a aluminum key in-between the crankshaft and the flywheel that will sheer if it was anything to worry about and if the deck is not vibrating the spindle shaft is good enough.
I cut the yard today. Didn’t seem to have any issues. Thankfully

Bobbydonchakno

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so i went to change the blades again yesterday, and the blade that hit the block wont come off. I ended up stripping the bolt trying to get the bolt off. Any thoughts on my issue? Think i screwed up the spindle?

I was going to buy vice grips to see if i could get it off with that.

Rocky J

Threads
To remove the blades the bolt or nut turns the same direction as the blades when they are cutting grass So when it hit the block solid it tightened the bolt super tight , it is set up that way so they do not come loose when engaged, with that said maybe if you take a 3 pound hammer and strike the blade from the back side , the unsharpened side , out on the end to gain leverage, wear your goggles or face shield as it might chip and blind you. This should reverse what striking the block did. I have had better luck with a small pipe wrench then vice grips. If deck is not removed you may have to and use the block tool to hold the other blade.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you don’t have an impact wrench, I would remove the deck and take it to a local auto repair shop, with a dozen donuts in hand. Most will be glad to help you out.

Bobbydonchakno

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried everything. Couldn’t get it to budge. I was just about to have the shop come and pick it up and remembered my buddy worked on tractors and mowers and such. Came over with his tools. Popped it off in to second. SMH. All good now.

Threads
My wife ran over some elevated roots with my old FasTrak and did the same thing, I didn't strip the head on the bolt but it took some "persuading" to get that blade off. Glad you got it sorted out, I've messed up more stuff trying to take care of it than I have just using the crap out of it. Irony. LOL

The Chairman

Threads
I use anti-seize on my blade bolts. A bit always gets on the bolt face next to the blade, and instead of over-tightening the bolt, it seems to slip a bit under it. I use a Ryobi 1/2 impact wrench rather than my air tools and never have a problem. There are two types of anti-seize available nowadays: aluminum or copper-based. I prefer the latter because of its ability to withstand heat when I use it on exhaust studs and bolts. Go sparingly... a little dab'll do ya!