Did I kill my new transmission?

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced transmission on HRX217k5HYAA. On my test run in the drive all was great but I realized I couldn't turn right. Back in the garage, flipped pinion, now nothing unless I lift the wheels off the ground. Now both wheels are clicking in reverse and they turn together forward. Cable is max tight. Lever on trans is moving to stop. Really?

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dang it's been almost a month and I'm still fighting this monster. I'm oldish and like to work on things so all good and the beer is cold.

Anyway, not knowing what could be wrong, I ordered another transmission only to wait 8 days to find out it was backordered. Would have been good to know. Tried the TheMowerShop in Indiana. They were kind enough to promptly notify me that they also were out. Boats.net had a trans, cable, belt and a couple misc in 2 days. Yay

To cut to the chase I had crushed the belt pulley key. No surprise to some I'm sure, but with the 1st trans replacement I was unable to get beyond the 3 part attachment to the blades. Sandwich thingy. So I did it the hard way. The transmission spring was a mutha to reattach. This time I wasn't going thru that again so invested the WD, prying and banging to get everything loose. Hence discovering the 2 key positions.

So now I have replaced the bad key, belt, cable and another trans. Used the newest one just in case. Bought new Honda brand circlips. Circlips hold everything together. Cheap ones that failed at the beginning of the story got into this mess. Cranked the mower, drive worked, engaged blade and a tire went wonky. Shook pinion circlips on one wheel loose allowing axle to move. When I replaced didn't check direction and apparently ate the pulley key. Maybe pulling it backwards wasn't too bright.

Ok, everything involved is replaced. Not working tho. I can see the belt moving thru the shudder adjustment. I've tightened the cable until it starts kicking speed lever out.

Tomorrow I do it again. If I find nothing wrong I put trans #2 back in. Fortunate it's getting easy. May close my eyes this time. :)

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yo fellow mower peeps. Got my trans swap down to 90mins. That's from assembled and ready to go, as I left it yesterday tho I was sure it was going to work then. Had my mowing clothes on and everything. Still no luck. Broke it down again after the trans swap this morning and put old belt back on, meh. So I think all bases are covered as far as parts, leaving only adjusting the cable correctly. Not that I haven't been trying but everything is new and there's little room to assemble it wrong. Only fits one way and it's all tight. Even starting to warm up to circlips. S@%s

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, loosened the cable to the point the wheels didn't spin when lifted. Started with half turns, then to quarter turns as cable tightened to the point speed control level kicked back. I'm thinking now it has to do with the pulley engaging transmission. I've verified all assemblies against parts diagrams, but for the trans pulley there is only the spacer/washer and a nut. Nothing appears loose and the nut is always tight when I swap trans. Anyone have an idea what I could be missing?

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Morning all. Focusing on the crank pulley. When I saw two slots for keys I assumed I was missing one. But looking at parts diagram and a video, I don't see the upper one. Can't see how adding the second would have an adverse affect even if not needed. I assumed the missing key was the issue.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this works. The crankshaft pulley is fixed to the crank by a key in a slot. The belt is always turning the trans pulley. The cable moves the spring loaded lever to engage drive. Sounds simple enough. What am I missing? Thanks

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
As the late great Mr. Spock would say, This is totally illogical.

tmurf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pushing this project to the side for a now. I'm certain I can figure this out so rather than pay someone a couple hundred dollars, I bought the $420 HRN216VKAA at HD. Love this little mower. I say little bc it feels 40lbs lighter. I'm sure the actual weight difference is much less but it's the position of the weight.

A lot of homes in my area are built on the side of ridges as is mine. Mowed part of my lot drops 20ft+. I push mow it for the involuntary exercise. Approaching 65 so must keep moving. So the lighter mower is easier to maneuver. Smaller motor cuts just as well and has less weight to move so I sense no loss. Only caveat is wheelies, but I'll adjust to the thumb drive hopefully. The extra power is always right there. Anyway one the 2 mowers will make a good backup eventually.

Happy mowing all. Peace