desperate need for help - John Deere d105 problems

djays

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / desperate need for help - John Deere d105 problems
Hello - Any help that you can provide would be very much appreciated. I have a John Deere D105 lawn tractor with a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine (31G777). After driving the tractor down a steep hill it started to run very poorly. It felt like it would soon stall. I shut off the tractor and put it away over night. The next day it started, ran vey rough, and then stalled out. After that I could not even get it started. I'm guessing this is related to driving it down a fairly steep hill. I've had it run rough for a minute after driving down this hill before but then it seems to kick back in and run properly. This time that wasn't the case. I'm not experienced with doing any major repairs but I was hoping someone could at least help me evaluate the problem and get me started on the repair. The tractor has about 260 hours on it. Every spring, I change the oil, spark plug, oil filter, gas filter and air filter. During the year, I keep an eye on the oil level and give it grease on occasion. Thank you in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
most likley water in your fuel or debris in the tank blocking off the fuel supply
drop the float bowl & let us know what you find

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every spring, I change the oil, spark plug, oil filter, gas filter and air filter.
Couple more to the list.

1.Valve adjustment. Keeps her running and starting like new.
2.Clean block and cylinder cooling fins. Yearly must do.
3.Fuel stabilizer year round. If you drain for winter, hoses will dry up and crack. Then you must replace. Also never worry about how old the fuel is.
4.Winter storage, take used oil, slather on under side of deck. No more deck rot. Easier to clean too.

Back on topic. Drain the fuel tank. Flush it out both ways. Compressed air both ways. Make sure you get a good flow AT the carb inlet. Glass jar will show you fuel volume.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
These Briggs 31 ci engines are bad about blowing head gaskets. Do a leakdown test with the rocker cover off. If hear more air escaping at the push rod gallery than at the dipstick tube then the head gasket is blown.

And yes Briggs engines (and most small engines) don't like steep grades.

djays

Forum Newbie
Threads
most likley water in your fuel or debris in the tank blocking off the fuel supply
drop the float bowl & let us know what you find
I appreciate the response but I have no idea how to do this. I'm assuming I have to remove the carburetor to get at the float bowl. Is that correct? Is this difficult to do?

djays

Forum Newbie
Threads
These Briggs 31 ci engines are bad about blowing head gaskets. Do a leakdown test with the rocker cover off. If hear more air escaping at the push rod gallery than at the dipstick tube then the head gasket is blown.

I appreciate your response, but I have no idea how to do this. It sounds like I may have to take it in to the repair shop where they charge an arm and a leg. Thanks.

djays

Forum Newbie
Threads
Couple more to the list.

1.Valve adjustment. Keeps her running and starting like new.
2.Clean block and cylinder cooling fins. Yearly must do.
3.Fuel stabilizer year round. If you drain for winter, hoses will dry up and crack. Then you must replace. Also never worry about how old the fuel is.
4.Winter storage, take used oil, slather on under side of deck. No more deck rot. Easier to clean too.

Back on topic. Drain the fuel tank. Flush it out both ways. Compressed air both ways. Make sure you get a good flow AT the carb inlet. Glass jar will show you fuel volume.
Thanks for the response, but I'm afraid I don't have any type of air compressor to do this with. I'm not sure how to do this anyway. Thanks though.

djays

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for the response, but this is something I would have no idea how to do. I probably don't have the necessary tools either.

Threads
Hello - Any help that you can provide would be very much appreciated. I have a John Deere D105 lawn tractor with a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine (31G777). After driving the tractor down a steep hill it started to run very poorly. It felt like it would soon stall. I shut off the tractor and put it away over night. The next day it started, ran vey rough, and then stalled out. After that I could not even get it started. I'm guessing this is related to driving it down a fairly steep hill. I've had it run rough for a minute after driving down this hill before but then it seems to kick back in and run properly. This time that wasn't the case. I'm not experienced with doing any major repairs but I was hoping someone could at least help me evaluate the problem and get me started on the repair. The tractor has about 260 hours on it. Every spring, I change the oil, spark plug, oil filter, gas filter and air filter. During the year, I keep an eye on the oil level and give it grease on occasion. Thank you in advance.
Did you check gas flow? could have debris stuck in the gas line, I had this happen just a few days ago.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I appreciate the response but I have no idea how to do this. I'm assuming I have to remove the carburetor to get at the float bowl. Is that correct? Is this difficult to do?
It depeends upon which carburettor JD specified from Briggs
The Walbro carb float bowl is held on by the fuel solenoid so you unpulg it the undo the solenoid with a 1/2 open ender ground down so it fits between the bowl & solenoid body .