Damage to Bercomac (Craftsman) Snowblower.

kevinrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and am gone away for a week or two at a time. When I return home, we have normally gone through some cold and warm cycles in the weather and the snow in my driveway is usually ice or very hard snow. I have used my snowblower a few times this winter and the area around the impeller (the circle) is very worn from using it a couple of times. Paint is gone and heavily scratched. Would a rock guard or bed liner paint help this before it puts a hole there or what other suggestions would the good people of this forum suggest.

de dee

Threads
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and am gone away for a week or two at a time. When I return home, we have normally gone through some cold and warm cycles in the weather and the snow in my driveway is usually ice or very hard snow. I have used my snowblower a few times this winter and the area around the impeller (the circle) is very worn from using it a couple of times. Paint is gone and heavily scratched. Would a rock guard or bed liner paint help this before it puts a hole there or what other suggestions would the good people of this forum suggest.
I live in Ottawa Ont. and we get the same mix of weather here,. I plan to paint my berco 44 when it warms up again next spring,. bed liner sounds good but would the snow stick more with that ,. I was thinking of varithane floor coating the one that turns diamond hard, but stays smooth,. the impeller has about 1/4 inch clearance so I can put it on thick multy coats,. and it is slippery when wet,. and it can be waxed,. let me know what you do and how it turns out,. don in Ottawa

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I live in Ottawa Ont. and we get the same mix of weather here,. I plan to paint my berco 44 when it warms up again next spring,. bed liner sounds good but would the snow stick more with that ,. I was thinking of varithane floor coating the one that turns diamond hard, but stays smooth,. the impeller has about 1/4 inch clearance so I can put it on thick multy coats,. and it is slippery when wet,. and it can be waxed,. let me know what you do and how it turns out,. don in Ottawa

Ya I think bed liner has lots of grooves and wet snow might stick. Something smooth with a wax coating will probably be best.

kevinrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is enough power that sticking snow isn't a problem. I'm looking for something durable as a protectant for the impellar housing. Thanks for your answers, the diamond hard surface stuff sounds really good. With the amount of room in there a couple of good coats should protect it from the ice. The inside looks like I took a belt sander to it for about a minute. Thanks again guys

de dee

Threads
There is enough power that sticking snow isn't a problem. I'm looking for something durable as a protectant for the impellar housing. Thanks for your answers, the diamond hard surface stuff sounds really good. With the amount of room in there a couple of good coats should protect it from the ice. The inside looks like I took a belt sander to it for about a minute. Thanks again guys

If you go with the diamond hard varithane ,. thin coats of varithane ,. on my counter top I put 6 or 7 layers,. it drys fast and you can put layers on very fast,.between layers I sanded with oooo fine , it looked like glass,.

de dee

Threads
If you go with the diamond hard varithane ,. thin coats of varithane ,. on my counter top I put 6 or 7 layers,. it drys fast and you can put layers on very fast,.between layers I sanded with oooo fine , it looked like glass,.

I just bought my tractor PGT 9000 26 hp. a month ago,. does your belt slip when you get in heavy snow, my motor does not slow down ,but the belt slips, then it plugs up,. I shut the clutch off very fast or the belt burns. lost my first belt with only 1 foot of snow, any ideas to get by that ,. Don

possum

Threads
Sand or rock is pretty hard on the impellar and housing. Paint does not last long and metal wears as well. If you really do find anything that prevents wear on metal I would be very surprised. In fact I would think it would be a earth rending event and worth gazilions. After all things like railcar wheels, locomotive wheels, rail, farm machinery, factory machinery, machine shop tooling etc. could last forever by just brushing on a bit of product. I would just lube my blower well to prevent rust and increase slickness and do it often. Painting at the end of the season is a good idea. I would expect the paint to be gone in about five minutes the following season.

kevinrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
De Dee, Sorry it too so long, but I'm an over the road truck driver and just got back. Your belt is slipping. What kind of tractor and snowblower do you have and I'll try to help you out.

kevinrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just noticied you were the original person that replied so you must have the same blower. I had the same problem as you and I adjusted the piece (can't think of the name) that has the two belts on it where the mower deck would be. Mine has manual engagement and when I engaged the arm that pulls the belt tight was hitting the steering gear. I just moved it down just far enough to clear the gear and it tightened the belt up. I have no slip going through 3 feet of rock hard snow and ice. Hope this helped, took me a while to figure out why belt was slipping. Glad I started in the Spring. HAHA:confused2:

de dee

Threads
I just noticied you were the original person that replied so you must have the same blower. I had the same problem as you and I adjusted the piece (can't think of the name) that has the two belts on it where the mower deck would be. Mine has manual engagement and when I engaged the arm that pulls the belt tight was hitting the steering gear. I just moved it down just far enough to clear the gear and it tightened the belt up. I have no slip going through 3 feet of rock hard snow and ice. Hope this helped, took me a while to figure out why belt was slipping. Glad I started in the Spring. HAHA:confused2:

thanks for the info on the belt, I will check to morrow, as it will go up to 3 below, almost tropical, for this time of year, 25 below last night,
you are talking about the middle belt that drives the elec. clutch,. I think thats the belt thats slipping,.
my tractor is PGT 9000 built in 2012 the blower is a crarftsman made by berco 44 inch wide,. two stage blower