Dad's Toro 20332 won't back up.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dad has a 9 year old 20332. Wheels lock when pulling machine backwards. Installed a new OEM Toro drive belt and adjusted Personal Pace cable clamp. Rear wheels still lock up when pulling backwards. Anyone else have this issue? Mainly the right wheel that locks. Trans pulley turns okay. Trans is probably bone dry inside.

This one doesn't have the half moon key and spring deal on the rear axle ends where the rear wheels bolt on. Dad said the Personal Pace never really worked correctly since new. New OEM Toro belt is awful puny.

I'm either looking at new pulleys, transmission or the Personal Pace transmission return spring. What do you guys think?

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The main reason I’ve seen for this problem, is that the belt gets tight when you pull backwards. Yes you may have a dry tranny, but since you’ve already changed the belt, I would check the blade adapter for wear. I know this sounds crazy, but if the pulley area of the adapter is worn it will grab the belt.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like you said, try it with a lot of slack in the drive belt. Simply adjust the 7/16" nut on the Personal Pace cable.

I had another mower that would "grab" the belt as you say Rivets. Actually it was another Toro. My guess then was worn pulleys. Funny thing is that blade adapter pulley for that mower was worth more than the entire old mower was LOL. Might be in the same deal here...... Thanks Rivets for the wisdom. (y)

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did notice on the blade adapter pulley, the new OEM belt sinks down into the pulley a good ways. To me that pulley is bad. A V belt is supposed to ride up near an 1/16" OUT of the pulley sides of the V. This belt sinking into the pulley is what that other mower did with the belt jerking.

The picture below shows a fixed pulley left, right an adjustable sheave. See how the left pulley the belt rides just proud of the top of the V? Just a sliver out of the V?

Both pulleys on this mower plunge into the V with a new OEM Toro belt.

What do you guys think?

Featured-Blower-Belt.png

slomo

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At 9 years old, the adapter could easily be worn. Part number 106-3987, about $20.00.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs 128M02-0133-F1 12091457

Okay, engine chunked an intake valve seat. You guessed it, never cleaned the top of the block and fins since 2012. Block had a mummy wrap of dirt all over it. Wonder why it over-heated and spit out a valve seat LOL. o_O

New to me, the spark plug gap is 0.020" per this engine manual. Most I've seen are 0.030". The mm conversion is accurate too at 0.51mm.

Screenshot_2021-07-12_22-23-57.png

full-9241-21949-008.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update

She's a runner. Wondering how long the valve seat staking will last? I put al least 12 punch marks around the valve seat if not more. Guess keep the cooling fins clean for starters. Intake valve had a lot of bluing on the shaft. Still in clearance spec from 2012, amazing.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Personally I've never seen or had a seat staking job fail.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I've never seen or had a seat staking job fail.
I followed Donyboy23's video. He had stake marks all the way around the seat and close together.

Good to know you haven't seen a failure. (y) Thanks for reporting in Scrub. Appreciate the wisdom.

slomo