D160 backfires

TexasTinker'r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, new to this forum but need some advice on my D160. It ran fine the last time I used it then this time after I started it, it was backfiring with puffs of black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I did a little research and thought it might be a ignition coil but after replacing both for $100 it still has the issue. I pulled the spark plugs and both were very black and sooty even though I just changed them when I did my spring service. I can only assume from here that it may be a carb issue but I am not sure and don't want to throw more bad money at it.

It is also a bit hard to start, I usually have to use ether to get it going and then after that it usually cranks up as long as it hasn't sat too long.

Engine is a B&S 44S977 type 0026G1

Any advice is welcome!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil
Good chance the level will be high & it will be thin with a petrol smell
This is because the float valve is dirty / worn & not cutting off the fuel properly
Time to remove the carb and clean it out
Photo details outdoorpowerinfo.com

TexasTinker'r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the oil
Good chance the level will be high & it will be thin with a petrol smell
This is because the float valve is dirty / worn & not cutting off the fuel properly
Time to remove the carb and clean it out
Photo details outdoorpowerinfo.com
Checked the oil, smells fine and is at the correct level. I think I will get a carb rebuild kit and go through the carb and clean everthing and replace all the seals and orings just to be safe.

Is there anything else I should look at?