D130 42” deck tune up

JD_Driver

Threads
The d130 is about 5 years old and needed a new belt. I installed one last week and it didn’t last long. Thinking back I realize that the tension cable should’ve been adjusted when I installed a new belt. The blades were delayed about a second to after engagement.

Thought about it a bit and decided I needed to do a bit more than just a belt change.

Spent the day doing a deck clean up and tube up. Removed the deck and the burnt belt. Took a look at the spindles and idler pulleys. Replaced the larger idler pulley as the bearing felt dry.

I removed the deck spindles and removed the bearings. Once the bearings were out, I drilled the 8th inch hole adjacent to the Zerk fittings. I didn’t tapped the hole for a 8/32 machine screw. As in carefully removed one side of the bearings grease seals. I clean the bearings, dried the bearings and reinstalled. I am sure the grease seals were facing outward. I reassembled the spindles using anti-seize on the four mount bolts.

Oh, I replace the idler pulley while installing a new belt. Once this was done, I greased the spindles with the machine screws removed. I insured that the spindle bearings were lubed up, realizing the spindle cavity was full when the grease flowed from the vent hole.

I reinstalled the deck. I also added a slight amount of attention to the engagement cable. The deck is certainly quieter, smoother, and engages nearly instantly when engaged.

Why John Deere and others install spindles with a grease fitting and sealed bearings is a mind-boggling event. While I did have a set of replacement bearings, I did not replace them as they were smooth and did not feel dry.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm with you one that whole "grease fitting with sealed bearings" thing. Engineers.... Eh.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The d130 is about 5 years old and needed a new belt. I installed one last week and it didn’t last long. Thinking back I realize that the tension cable should’ve been adjusted when I installed a new belt. The blades were delayed about a second to after engagement.

Thought about it a bit and decided I needed to do a bit more than just a belt change.

Spent the day doing a deck clean up and tube up. Removed the deck and the burnt belt. Took a look at the spindles and idler pulleys. Replaced the larger idler pulley as the bearing felt dry.

I removed the deck spindles and removed the bearings. Once the bearings were out, I drilled the 8th inch hole adjacent to the Zerk fittings. I didn’t tapped the hole for a 8/32 machine screw. As in carefully removed one side of the bearings grease seals. I clean the bearings, dried the bearings and reinstalled. I am sure the grease seals were facing outward. I reassembled the spindles using anti-seize on the four mount bolts.

Oh, I replace the idler pulley while installing a new belt. Once this was done, I greased the spindles with the machine screws removed. I insured that the spindle bearings were lubed up, realizing the spindle cavity was full when the grease flowed from the vent hole.

I reinstalled the deck. I also added a slight amount of attention to the engagement cable. The deck is certainly quieter, smoother, and engages nearly instantly when engaged.

Why John Deere and others install spindles with a grease fitting and sealed bearings is a mind-boggling event. While I did have a set of replacement bearings, I did not replace them as they were smooth and did not feel dry.
Cal, the biggest single market wants only sealed bearings on domestic mowers so there is no pollution caused by owners not cleaning off the grease when they grease bearings.
Second a 2 RS bearing wholesale is almost the same price as an open one
But an open one requires extra machining for the seal plus an extra step on the assembly line
Mower buyers are stupid and the mower that is 1¢ cheaper will get 20% more sales and nearly all companies have gone down the high volume low profit margin route so a couple of hundred sales is the difference between a profit year & a loss year