D100 (maintenance and repairs)

biodiesel

Threads
That has been cracked for a very long time
Failure to properly grease the spindle eventually cause the bearing to collapse and the balls hammering around inside finished the job.
So quite some time back it coped a big bang but kept on running till it ultimately failed .

I've read some conflicting information so maybe you can clarify. I've heard that greasing the spindles doesn't help since the bearings are sealed. Is this true? The directions say to grease the new spindles, so maybe some are sealed, and some aren't?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It depends on how the bearings are setup and installed. Spindles with grease Zerk should have bearings that have the inward seals removed preferably bearing with metal shields. But many after market and OEM spindles that I have taken a part used sealed bearings because they are cheaper than bearings with just one shield.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From an engineering point of view the best solution is open grease tapered roller bearing with grease seals
Next down the list is open bearings with grease seals
then metal shielded bearings with grease seals
and the worst is dry with a 2rs bearing
But the worst is also the cheapest .
Now the bearings ( if installed properly ) fail either from running dry or water getting into the races emulsifing the grease & again running dry
Filling the cavity between the 2 sealed bearings goes a large way to preventing water getting in and definately prevents water condensing from the air
The rubber sides are actually SHIELDS not seals and they are designed to prevent the grease in there getting out, not dirt & moisture getting in .
Metal shields are designed to prevent solid objects getting in while allowing grease or oil to flow through

Now the EPA in Cal does not allow greased bearings because of the pollution from excessive grease droping off the mower into the grass so the Cal versions must have sealed non greasable berings .

biodiesel

Threads
Here are the greasing directions for my new spindles:

Greasing Mower Spindles​

• Greasing your mower spindle depends on the usage. The more you use it, the more grease it needs. If you are an average user, you need to grease your mower spindles at least once a month.
  • This will lubricate the interior moving parts in the mower. Keeping the internal parts well lubricated extends the life of the mower.
  • The amount of grease needed for your mower spindles also depends on how you use it. For personal mowing, it can be sufficient to grease them two times in a mowing season.
  • If you are a commercial mower, you should grease the mower spindle daily. This is because you spend many hours using it and it might get destroyed easily if it doesn’t get enough lubrication.
  • Keep in mind that mower spindles have large cavities that need enough lubrication. It would be best to grease the spindles until grease can be seen coming out of the weep hole at their base.
  • There are grease fittings on each spindle. They are called zerk fittings. You can grease them easily without removing other parts.

71WreXPyZTS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

biodiesel

Threads
We've got 10 acres, but we only mow 7 acres once per year.

kylgqaG.jpg

biodiesel

Threads
I do have a question though. I just discovered (via YouTube video) that there's a grease fitting that I didn't know existed. I tried to put grease in the fitting today, but it won't take grease. This is the fitting at the very front of the tractor. I'm not exactly sure what part it greases, but I need to replace it. It appears that the grease fitting may have been painted over from the factory. I tried scratching it clean using a grease needle adaptor, but I can't get the ball to push in. Are these fittings pretty easy to remove and replace? I've never removed a grease zerk before, hence the question.

0zRPAlr.jpg

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
all you should have to do is unscrew it with the appropriate wrench, and most parts stores and Tractor supplies etc. will have what you need. they come in different thread pitches so be sure to match that up as well.
you can take it out and soak it and sometimes that will free up the ball. but I just replace them.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And sometimes the joint is so impacted with old grease and rust that you have to disassembly it to clean it. You might even find that both bushing are worn out. Items #2.

The zerk is a 1/4-inch-28 Straight Grease Zerk - JD7844. Easily obtainable as at sources mention above. The bushings are about $12 US each.
1642414691755.png

biodiesel

Threads
all you should have to do is unscrew it with the appropriate wrench, and most parts stores and Tractor supplies etc. will have what you need. they come in different thread pitches so be sure to match that up as well.
you can take it out and soak it and sometimes that will free up the ball. but I just replace them.

I appreciate the feedback. I just ordered an assortment of grease fittings. I've got a few pieces of equipment (tractor, dump trailer, wagon, lawn tractor) that use grease fittings, so it might not be a bad idea to have some parts on hand. I'm also in a remote location, so I don't always have the convenience to run to the parts store.
LNL143_new_open_web_600x.jpg

biodiesel

Threads
And sometimes the joint is so impacted with old grease and rust that you have to disassembly it to clean it. You might even find that both bushing are worn out. Items #2.

The zerk is a 1/4-inch-28 Straight Grease Zerk - JD7844. Easily obtainable as at sources mention above. The bushings are about $12 US each.
Thanks for the information! The diagram is super helpful. It's nice to see all the parts involved.

I'm hoping that replacing the grease fitting will put be back on track. If not, then I'll do as you suggest (disassemble, inspect, replace as needed, and clean).

I purchased the mower in 2012 at either Lowes or Home Depot (not sure which place). I've been very good about changing the oil (Amsoil 10W-30) and filters, but not so much with anything else. I wasn't organized at that point in my life, nor did I have a place to work on my equipment. I now have a well-organized heated garage. I'm also gaining the necessary tools to do all my own maintenance.

The D100 has been a great machine. I'm not using it to mow residential lawns. I've been using this mower to develop virgin mountain property by mowing down weeds and native blue grama clump grass. Most people will tell me that I bought the wrong machine for the job, but so far, it's lasted 139 hours and 9 years! I bought the mower new for $1,200 dollars, so I'm not complaining.

Bqhu5s9.jpg

pJldeas.jpg

FZQE7Wu.jpg

vf2elAv.jpg