CV22S not getting fuel. Also need valve clearances for this model.

Jammer48

Threads
  • / CV22S not getting fuel. Also need valve clearances for this model.
Kohler CV22s I can't get this thing started. I checked the spark and both are good. I changed all of the fuel lines even to the tank. Bought a new vacuum fuel pump and even tried one off another Kohler but I don't know if that one works or not. The new one is a black plastic one. None of them brought fuel to the carb. Any ideas on what I should check next?

Also I took both valve covers off and the one side the rockers OTDC are both tight as a drum. These do not look like what I am used to adjusting does anyone know how to adjust these rocker arms and what the clearance should be for both intake and exhaust?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The CV22 is a Command commercial grade engine and has hydraulic lifters so no valve lash to adjust .
Go to K & T mower parts on the left of the red navigation bar is a link to Mower manuals.
Or
You can go to Kohler and download the repair manual direct from them
Impulse fuel pumps rarely give you any problems if you fit them right intake is on the side under the impulse spiggot
The one on the other side all by itself is the output

Jammer48

Threads
Thanks for the feed back! This is a picture of the pump I bought. The hose on the top right is the inlet? The hose on the bottom right is the vacuum? I Downloaded the manual for this motor and it says to check: the "fuel tank vent, fuel pickup screen, in-line filter, shut-off valve, and fuel line". I assume the fuel tank vent is the vent on the top of the cap itself? If so the clear piece of plastic is missing off of the top of the cap and as a result it is as if the cap is off because without the clear plastic cover you can see down thru the gas gauge into the tank. Where is the fuel pickup sceen? Is that in the tank? The inline fuel filter is new, i was thinking of bypassing that just to see if that will allow the pump to suck? There is no shut off valve in the line anywhere. I did notice that at the top of the gas tank, where the hose connects to the tank, it seemed loose so i put some caulk around it to seal it better?
1625802068944.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, pump is hooked up right
1) remove the outlet line and crank the engine
You should get squirts of fuel that will go about 1' in the air.
Might be an idea to slip some spare hose onto the outlet so you don't get fuel every where .
If so the problem lies between the pump & the carb

2) should the above fail remove the inlet fuel line and see if you can blow easily back through it.
Grass clippings get into the tank and fuel replaces the water in them so they become transparent and are almost the same density as the fuel they are floating in
When the engine is running they get sucked into the tank outlet and make a plug.

3) there is a solenoid on the carburettor that prevents fuel from entering the engine when the ignition is turned off
Spray some carb cleaner ( best option ) or starting spray or a 1/4 teaspoon of fuel down the plug hole
If the engine starts then suspect the carb solenoid .

Jammer48

Threads
Thanks again.... This mower has no solenoid on the carb. There is no fuel reaching the fuel filter. I will try blowing some air through the feed line directly towards the tank. I am beginning to think it's an issue with the tank or the fuel filter itself. It a fairly large clear plastic filter. I will let you know tomorrow how it goes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can be the fuel line itself especially if it is an older with a fuel line with sharp bends.

Jammer48

Threads
no sharp bends and it's brand new i changed it 2 days ago.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rubber fuel line is a 2 or 3 layer construction
The inner is petrol proof butyl and because it is expensive is very thin
Behind that is a tough filler layer
The outer is generally fibre reinforced neoprene for high UV & oil resistance
These can separate so when you push the new tube on the butyl breaks away and blocks the hole .

Jammer48

Threads
ok i found the problem and she's running great. I felt the end of the vacuum line and it didn't seem strong enough. So i blew a burst through it and whamo awesome suction now. I am pretty sure I have a blown head casket. Did a leak down test and also confirmed that as well. She runs good now except she won't low idle ( goes with the blown head casket) I am gonna baby her and mow one last time then that gives me a week to change the head gasket and do a valve job too, any idea what head gasket this takes? Thanks a milllion for your help.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
She runs good now except she won't low idle ( goes with the blown head casket)
Human logic is to idle down a mower engine. Be gentle with her. In fact the total opposite is true. Briggs says to run at full beans all the time for max durability. These are not car engines.

Air cooled engines get hot in 1-2 minutes. When you idle down like a Harley Davidson, you just killed all the air cooling to the engine. Over heats lead to valve guides moving, valve seats popping out of the block and bent push rods.

Have you ever cleaned the cylinder cooling fins? It's in your engine manual as a YEARLY maintenance operation.

Posted by eatpreymow
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: