CV15 fuel pump

Oddjob

Threads
This is on a John Deere LT155 with electric starter. Single cyl cv15 command engine. Spec no. 41594, Ser no. 3003206643. This machine wouldn’t start a couple of years ago and I put a tarp over it. Recently decided to get it going. It was a nice machine, other than the fragile plastic hood. I knew the fuel system would be trouble because I never got the chance to run it dry and left a small amount of gas in the tank. I did drain the carb bowl, though. So I removed the tank and cleaned it. Replaced the fuel line and all perished parts. Cleaned the carb. Happily, it was not dirty, except for tiny amount of dirt in bowl. Installed new battery. It cranked but wouldn’t start. I tested for spark and tester showed no spark. I pulled the kill wire off the coil. Still no spark. Put the wire back on and voila, there’s spark! What’s up with that? Anyway, sprayed a shot of starter fluid into carb and the engine ran for a second or two. I pulled full line next to carb and cranked the engine. It was not pumping gas so I took the fuel pump off to investigate. The diaphragm actually didn’t look too bad but I don’t know what it was supposed to look like, this being my first foray into a Kohler fuel pump. I would just as soon repair the old pump as replace it but not sure I can find a kit. The number on the pump is 1239307 L9. I can’t find that part number listed anywhere. There are pumps listed as compatible with 1239303 that look like my pump, are these interchangeable? Is there a repair kit for this pump? Should I just replace the pump even if there’s a rebuild kit available? Is 12 559 02 the right part number for a pump for this engine?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you have the correct part number for a new pump. Can not find a repair kit for that pump.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I've done after a mower has been sitting for some time is pressurize the gas tank, force fuel through the lines and fill the carb. This would prime the fuel pump and maybe get it working. Just take off the gas cap and seal your mouth around the opening and blow pretty hard for several seconds. Yeah, not a tasty option but it usually works. If it runs for a few seconds and quits, needs new pump probably.

Oddjob

Threads
Thanks. I’ll try pressurizing the tank.

Oddjob

Threads
Tom, you are my hero. It worked. Only wish I had asked for advice BEFORE I had removed the fuel pump. On the other hand, got to see how the fuel pump on the CV15 works and got to spend quality time at the bench scraping a 20 year old gasket and making a new one. ( I didn’t have the patience to wait for a gasket and I wasn’t thrilled at the price, either.) This thing really runs well. Smooth, relatively quiet, and strong, even when at low idle. Hats off to Kohler. And it is a pleasure to work on this 20 year old John Deere. Other than the brittle plastic hood, this machine was made to last. I think the union must have negotiated to use as many bolts as possible. But it all fits together and there are no rattles. I almost threw in the towel on this when the carb bowl nut resisted coming out. A previous owner had cross threaded it, then used glue to keep it from leaking. I found the specs on the Kohler site and chased the hole and bolt with 3/8 24 tap and die. And my wife wants to know if I ever use all those tools..... Thanks again, Tom. You were truly the voice of wisdom.