Cutting deck timing pulleys

bj33790

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

I have a Honda HF2216 ride on mower that has a totally trashed bearing in one of the toothed timing pulleys on the cutting deck. I know this deck and similar are used on many Honda models and other ride on mowers..
The parts diagram (see photo) only shows the bearing and the pulley with a large and small spring clip at the top. However the remaining one and the one that needs replacement, both seem to have a flange pushed in at either end that I can't see how you can remove.

I wonder if anyone has had to change these, and how you did it?

The other two photos shows the existing one and the trashed one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanksDECK1.jpgFLANGE.JPGFLANGE2.JPG

Richie F

Threads
Bottom one that's junk:
The inner part of the press in roller bearing (28) is gone and the internal snap ring (14) is missing also.
Number (46) looks intact and the groove for part (14) looks good from this picture.
I'm guessing part (13) is the bushing that presses into bearing (28).
Number (12) is a washer and (23) is a bolt.
If part(46) is good a new bearing (28) can be installed after the old one is knocked out, along with snap ring and bushing.
You have a diagram, look up the part numbers.
Serial number would have helped along with model number.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it were me I’d order part numbers 13, 14, and two of 28. I would replace both bearings. The far left on the bearing stud is the inner race of the old bearing, which you may have to cut through to remove if you can’t remove with a puller. Will need to use a cutting wheel, as it is hardened and a hacksaw won’t touch it.

Richie F

Threads
If it were me I’d order part numbers 13, 14, and two of 28. I would replace both bearings. The far left on the bearing stud is the inner race of the old bearing, which you may have to cut through to remove if you can’t remove with a puller. Will need to use a cutting wheel, as it is hardened and a hacksaw won’t touch it.

That outer race can most likely be knocked out if you flip the part over.
I do agree about #13, 14 and 28.
Would like to see #48 better to make sure the groove for the spap ring is good.

bj33790

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, thank you for replying, and for you comments. Yes the second pulley is scrap , but maybe I am not asking the right question

If you look at the good and bad pulley, where I have put an arrow, that looks like some sort of insert on top of the bearing (which is in the center). If I turn it upside down, there is the same thing there.. are you saying that where I have indicated does not rest on the top of the pulley, and can be pushed through with the bearing? The parts list doesn't show this, which is where am confused

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will push out with the bearing
It is there to stop the snap ring popping.

bj33790

Forum Newbie
Threads
It will push out with the bearing
It is there to stop the snap ring popping.
OK,, please bare with me, so if I manage to push the whole thing through, when I fit a new bearing, there is no part number for those top and bottom 'bits' there is only the pulley, the bearing and the snap rings, how do the snap rings hold the bearing in if the part I indicated doesn't exist? I hope you can see what is confusing me.... thanks

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The area you are pin-pointing is just a broached ring to hold the shoulder ring on. The splined pulley is a three piece deal looks like, center and two outer rings. Idler pulley looks ok, need bearing and snap ring? The bearing would sit on a shoulder with the snap ring holding it in on the opposite side. The bad piece has the bearing races still there but without the balls.

bj33790

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your replies.
Is the method of removing the old bearing shell to use an appropriate size former and tap it out from one side or do I need a special tool?