Curb Find

Mini Motors

Threads
I ain't been in for a while because 3 years ago I moved into a rental that came with lawn service, and at the same time my daughter and her hubby needed lawn mowers. I suspect that will change as I need to move again in July. But my son needed a mower for his job, so I told him to keep an eye out. He said "Right, like that'll happen". About a week later he, once again, was proven wrong. My son works at the local Animal Welfare League, and their cordless electric needs batteries.

It's a Toro 22". 2009, with a Kohler motor. The pull rope was broken, and upon further inspection, the drive belt had been thrown. The blade looked like it had been mis-sharpened a long time ago. Fixed the rope, and it started first pull. Not bad for 11 years old. The blade looked like it had been ground on both sides. I did the best I could to put an edge on it without loosing balance. Total investment is a scrap of Delrin rod 5/8" diameter, and some para-cord, both "in stock" in my shop. Cleaned up nice.

Before;
49910884207_9c736ae40a_z.jpg

49910884287_6519e01587_z.jpg

And After;
49910069968_0f9fae23a8_z.jpg

49910070023_d560131afb_z.jpg

When I move, I'll probably buy a new one, but it's nice to know I still got it. Not that it took much, but still....

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good find. You could probably flip that right now for an easy $75.

upupandaway

Threads
Good find. You could probably flip that right now for an easy $75.
I found one of these a last month. The sump gasket was bad. I fixed it and got $150. Maybe thanks to the guy who posted the exact same mower for $250.

BTW, so Kohler is rebadging chinese motors now?? sad.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found one of these a last month. The sump gasket was bad. I fixed it and got $150. Maybe thanks to the guy who posted the exact same mower for $250.

That's the first I've heard of Kohler being chinese.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

No Kohler is not rebadging imported engines.
Kohler , like Honda , Toyota , Briggs Stihl , and just about every other brand name you can think of OWNS a factory in China because wealthy people in developed countries like Australia & the USA are too greedy or cheap to pay a fair price for anything .
So the engines with Kohler on them and "made in China" are made in Kohler's own factory to Kohlers specifications and are passed by Kohlers QC before being shipped to the rest of the world.
One of the reasons why China has become so wealthy is they took a leaf out of the Saudi Arabian Company law book and do not allow foreign companies to set up a whoely owned factory.
To set up in China you have to go into partnership with a local manufacturer or company.
Thus unlike Australia where Apple & Micosoft can make $ 800,000,000 a year of opperating profit then turn it into a loss so pay no local taxes
In China 1/2 of the profits made by exploiting the low wages & non-exisant OH&S regulations stays in China and of course 1/2 of the board are Chines citizens ( usually party hacks ) so unlike most South American factories , the corrupt government officials can not syphon off all of the profits for themselves.
Thus the general population in China is rapidly becoming wealthier

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oh ok. Well, they must be cloning Predator motors then cuz it sure looks the same.
I know what you mean, the local tractor supply sells Cub cadet tillers and string strimmers with Kohler engines but they also use the same style carb i think, made by Ruixing so it makes sense the controls would be similar (fuel cut off and choke) , i would have swore it was rebranded clone, even the block casting has the same texture and look to it..But i trust that Bert knows more about it than me... as a matter of fact im sure he does.
69730_W4.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oh ok. Well, they must be cloning Predator motors then cuz it sure looks the same.
Really ?
Put a GX Honda next to them or a Ducar or a Loncin or a Luffan or for that matter a Briggs.
Take the decals off & most would be hard put to tell one form the other.

Decades ago it was found that inclining the cylinder reduced the vibrations, well in fact that was discovered in the 20's but stationary engines started being inclined around the 90's .
Then there is space constraints ,
A sloped engine is a lot more compact.
Come to think of it the only vertical cylinder I have seen for decades was a diesel where of course nothing will damp out the vibrations.
Honda have a renewable patient & trademark red so this prevents other makers painting their engines a similar red colour ( yes Honda have sued successfully )
Robins used to be yellow .\
Black is the cheapest colour to paint anything.
And Predator is not an engine maker, it is a trade name just like Craftsman .
They are made by one of the anonymous CHinese factories that do not sell anything with their own name on it. I did know their name but can't think of it right now.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Really ?
Put a GX Honda next to them or a Ducar or a Loncin or a Luffan or for that matter a Briggs.
Take the decals off & most would be hard put to tell one form the other.

Decades ago it was found that inclining the cylinder reduced the vibrations, well in fact that was discovered in the 20's but stationary engines started being inclined around the 90's .
Then there is space constraints ,
A sloped engine is a lot more compact.
Come to think of it the only vertical cylinder I have seen for decades was a diesel where of course nothing will damp out the vibrations.
Honda have a renewable patient & trademark red so this prevents other makers painting their engines a similar red colour ( yes Honda have sued successfully )
Robins used to be yellow .\
Black is the cheapest colour to paint anything.
And Predator is not an engine maker, it is a trade name just like Craftsman .
They are made by one of the anonymous CHinese factories that do not sell anything with their own name on it. I did know their name but can't think of it right now.
I've heard the comment passed around a few times a company named Chongqin Zongshen makes the predator engines.