Cub Cadet XT1-LT42 EFI Riding Lawn Mower starter not engaging

Fulldec

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1-LT42 EFI Riding Lawn Mower starter not engaging
I searched but could not find a similar post.

An ongoing issue has gotten worse. My Cadet would occasionally refuse to restart after I had shut it down, no other unusual behavior as I recall. A jump would get me going again. Once I noticed it becoming frequent, I took it to an authorized Cadet service shop. They claimed I had a bad battery so I paid for a new one(not completely sure I got a new one). They also noted that the starter was sounding pretty bad and that I would likely have to replace it soon(this was 1 week out of warranty coverage, no help there).

Problem repeated. This time I noted that the starter appeared to be spinning quietly but not engaging the flywheel (starter bendix issue?). That may have been happening before, but I cannot be sure. I bought a new starter and replaced it myself, easy job. Things went ok for a while (a few months?) but then it started to happen again. This was not a repeatable failure. Sometimes it would refuse to start, sometimes it would start just fine.

Now it won't start at all. Starter spins but not engage. Battery voltage is above 12v. even when cranking. I bought a new battery anyway, no help. I could not access the starter solenoid to short it by myself, so I removed the solenoid (even though I did not think that was the problem) and it checked out fine. Upon reinstalling it, I cracked a terminal, so a new solenoid is on order.

While I wait for the new solenoid, can someone help me diagnose this issue?
What I think I know:
The starter is getting power, so I don't think the fuse is blown or a safety switch is misbehaving.
The battery is new.
A new replacement starter is exhibiting the same behavior (not an issue with the starter) - spins but doesn't engage the flywheel.
No voltage drop at the starter, still 12+v when cranking. All connections I can check are clean and not corroded.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
All connections I can check are clean and not corroded.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don
Including the Negative (ground) connections?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No voltage drop at the starter, still 12+v when cranking. All connections I can check are clean and not corroded.
Is this across the starter [starter positive to starter frame]?

Fulldec

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this across the starter [starter positive to starter frame]?
I checked across the starter positive to nearby motor component(I believe it was a bolt going into the motor, not sure which exactly).

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Do you mean the battery neg. terminal to ground? No. The starter only has a pos. connection.
Yes
if the ground is loose or corroded that can cause problems.since the starter is grounded to the engine. via the black ground wire that goes to the frame.
i

Fulldec

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes
if the ground is loose or corroded that can cause problems.since the starter is grounded to the engine. via the black ground wire that goes to the frame.
i
Ground connection was good, thanks.

Fulldec

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to close this out, I ended up taking it to a Cub repair place.

They replaced the Ignition Module (item 951-15203) Part was $99 labor $56. I cannot see how this part could keep the starter bendix from engaging, but now it starts normally.

I will also note that I've had a lot of repairs on this Cub Cadet in a few years compared to the 30 years of owning a similar size Kubota. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Don

Charlie8d

Threads
I am not being critical, but this is about CC's lowest priced lawn tractor. No way to compare it to a Kubota,