Cub Cadet tractor and blower modifications

carbuilder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blowing the snow here in MI. is not a blast. Much perfer palying golf.
I have two items to address: 1. the skids and scraper wearing out, and 2. snow all over me.
1. the skids wore down too fast. So what I did was to purchase some 1" X 1.5" A 32 tool steel and welded it to the bottom of the skid side plates. Cut up old tire and bolted it to the bottom of the blower. The side walls of the tire were cut away, then cut across the tread and bolted the tread area to the bottom of blower. Used 1" angle steel to hold tire flat. (see pictures)
2. made a cover system like the old covered wagons using plastic tubing from Lowe's. Then covered with 40 mm (purchased over the internet) clear plastic and secured with velcro to the plastic tubing.
Both items completed and it works. The skids show little wear for last winter of 44 inches of snow, the tire contacts the pavement, walks over 2 inch mismatch in pavement, and I do not eat snow at any time when blowing.
First time using this to see if I can attach pictures.
Cutting the tire up was a louse. Set the tire vertical, placed a 2x4 across the tire and drove vehicle onto the 2x4 to hold the tire and used saws all to cut side walls away.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 30

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blowing the snow here in MI. is not a blast. Much perfer palying golf.
I have two items to address: 1. the skids and scraper wearing out, and 2. snow all over me.
1. the skids wore down too fast. So what I did was to purchase some 1" X 1.5" A 32 tool steel and welded it to the bottom of the skid side plates. Cut up old tire and bolted it to the bottom of the blower. The side walls of the tire were cut away, then cut across the tread and bolted the tread area to the bottom of blower. Used 1" angle steel to hold tire flat. (see pictures)
2. made a cover system like the old covered wagons using plastic tubing from Lowe's. Then covered with 40 mm (purchased over the internet) clear plastic and secured with velcro to the plastic tubing.
Both items completed and it works. The skids show little wear for last winter of 44 inches of snow, the tire contacts the pavement, walks over 2 inch mismatch in pavement, and I do not eat snow at any time when blowing.
First time using this to see if I can attach pictures.
Cutting the tire up was a louse. Set the tire vertical, placed a 2x4 across the tire and drove vehicle onto the 2x4 to hold the tire and used saws all to cut side walls away.

Nice home made fix...I used a truck tire tread recap section to mount on the lower edge of my JD 72 inch rear blade, but never thought about using something like it for replacement of the scraper bar on the underside of the auger housing for my big blower...thanks for the idea. Also, nice idea for the cover system...never would have thought of doing that either. The things I learn in this forum are well worth the price of admission....$11.99 a month thru AOL. :biggrin: