Cub Cadet RZTS 54 Steering Alignment

mboessen

Threads
Just uncrated and assembled my new Cub Cadet RZTS 54. I notice that the front wheels are toed in quite a bit, maybe 3 to 5 degrees. Is this normal?

Richie F

Threads
You have a zero turn mower.
The front wheels are casters.
They can move anywhere.
There is no toe adjustment.
Read the manual that came with it.
Why do I think this is a joke and I got sucked in ?

mboessen

Threads
Did you notice the steering wheel? It is a zero turn, but the front wheels actually steer with the steering wheel. They are not just casters.

mboessen

Threads
Hi, Hammermechanicman
thank you very much for the link to that video!! Curious where you found that. I service all of my things myself and it looks like those videos could be very helpful . That is quite a complicated procedure, and obviously if I want to fool with that I am going to have to buy all of those test fixtures. Unfortunately the video did not address my question as to whether it is normal for those wheels to be toed in like that. It's actually quite a bit and the mower tends to sidestep a little bit when one wheel gets more traction than the other. I have a hunch it is probably normal, but in any case I'm sure glad I didn't unhook those drag links and try to adjust it!

Your post sounds like you know quite a bit about these things. Do you have any idea if there is a part number for that alignment kit?

All this aside, I want to say that for anybody considering buying a zero turn mower, this thing is nothing short of absolutely awesome. It gets rid of all the disadvantages of a conventional zero turn mower, but still gives you zero turn capability. I have only run mine for about an hour. There is absolutely no learning curve. If you had a garden tractor before you can drive this zero turn with absolutely no practice. You can drive it on the side of a hill and it is not the least bit scary. I tried a couple of zero turns, but my lawn has a lot of slope in places. With no education or advice, I slid the first one into the road ditch after about five minutes and my neighbor had to come and help me pull it out. Then I called our local cub Cadet dealer. He told me it is absolute suicide to drive straight up and down steep slopes with a zero turn, and very dangerous to drive sideways along steep slopes as well. After he saw my lawn he would not sell me a regular zero turn. He strongly recommended this one, but did not have any in stock and could not get any more, so I bought mine online from Mowers Direct. From my limited experience that is a very good company.

If anyone knows anything about the toe in issue, I would appreciate the benefit of your expertise.

Thanks to those of you who have already helped me with this.

Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
yes the wheels are toed in.
They are geared so unlike a normal rider they can not be misaligned because a drag link gets bent
And the gear is quite coarse so if it was out a tooth they would be pigeon toed big time.
Your car wheels are also toed in slightly.
It helps with the return of the wheels to forward.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The adjustment procedure is complicated because you are timing the hydro controls with the front steering. If all that is wrong is a wheel not straight ahead when the steering wheel is straight you can adjust the link to that wheel or use the pins in the sector gears and the casters and adj the links to fit with the sector gears and caster when they are pinned in place. I have set one of these up without the special tools but you have to know what you are doing.

wrldtvlr

Threads
I agree with your assessment of the RZT slope performance. That was the primary reason I bought one. You may find my initial comments of interest.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sound someone didn't let the dealer setup the mower.

The 2010 service manual for the S series should help if just an adjustment problem or a bent part. You are going to need two 5/16 pins at least to check alignment.

2010 Z Force S Series Service Manual

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think he wrote he bought the mower from mowers direct so he is the one to setup the mower.