Cub Cadet LTX1046 with Kohler Courage SV600-0225 won't start

moguy1973

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet LTX1046 with Kohler Courage SV600-0225 won't start
I have a 2009 Cub Cadet LTX1046 with a Kohler Courage 20hp SV600-0225. The problem I'm having is the engine won't start. It turns over but won't fire. I've replaced the battery(x2), starter, fuel solenoid, and I've checked to make sure the ACR was in one piece and functioning. The rockers look fine. Fuel is getting to the spark plug. Haven't checked if it has spark or not but the resistance on the ignition coil checks good. Battery voltage has shown 12.6-12.8 across the battery posts but the digital readout on the console only reads 11.0 when the key is turned to the "ON" position. When the engine is cranked the readout shows only ~9 volts. The new starter cranks a lot harder than the old one so there was an issue there, and the fuel solenoid was bad also, so I've corrected two problems but still no starting. Any advice on where I may be losing voltage?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You really can't test modern ignition coils with a meter due the the hall effect triggering mechanism in them. I don't know the specific ins and outs of it, but the other smart people on here do ;)
Quick way to test for spark is to shoot some gas or carb spray either into the air intake behind the filter (straight into the carb) or into the spark plug hole, reinstall the plug and try to start, if no fire, remove the engine plastic cover, and unhook the black kill wire from the coil, repeat the above process, if it fires and runs, there is an electrical issue grounding the coil preventing spark, if still no fire with the kill wire unhooked, coil is toast.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can even be just a bad spark plug. Test using a known good plug. New doesn't guarantee the plug is good. I have replace several plugs this year on Kohler engines.

As for the voltage drop it can an electrical issue with on board voltage meter. What is the voltage across the starter? And what actual voltage across the battery using a separate meter and not the on board meter.

moguy1973

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, got a spark tester and a new spark plug. No spark on the tester. I have a new ignition module coming.