SOLVED: Cub Cadet LTX 1040 has a knocking noise when I shut it off

semimechanicman

Threads
  • / SOLVED: Cub Cadet LTX 1040 has a knocking noise when I shut it off
I got a ltx 1040 for free. Made it start and all but when I turn it off it makes a pretty loud knocking noise. It’s not the deck or anything because I took it off to see if that was the noise. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Loose motor mounting bolts will cause a knocking noise when started and shutoff. If you open the hood at shutoff you may see the engine wobbling.

semimechanicman

Threads
Loose motor mounting bolts will cause a knocking noise when started and shutoff. If you open the hood at shutoff you may see the engine wobbling.
Yes I will try that but I have tried to shake the engine by hand but it moves with the entire mower itself so I don’t think it is that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My experience has been sometimes you can move the motor by hand and other times you can't, but can see it move when the mower engine is shut off. Sometimes 1/16 of a turn is all the motor mount bolts will turn when they are loose.

I have a customer with a Snapper that will have issues with the engine just dying, and may not start for half an hour. When you start it you can see the engine move, and in some cases only 1 engine bolt will be loose, and it is enough to loose the ground for the fuel solenoid,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I leaning to a counter balance link being broken since these came with Kohler Courage. I have also seen engines to do this and run fine for years. But I would still check the links just to be sure.

The Courage also has a history of the cylinder breaking away from the crankcase but later versions were re-enforced to prevent this. The closure plate screws also get loose and need to re-tighten to spec using a little blue Loctite to prevent re-occurrence.

As noted mounting also can get loose. Anything just loose to completely missing. I had one MTD engine where they loose, frozed in the threads requiring the oil pan to be replaced. The screws [bolts] actually wore slots in the frame and engine slid back to a point where the drive would no longer work.

semimechanicman

Threads
Ok its been a while but I kind of forgot about this cub cadet ltx because I was busy with some other mowers. I found the issue and it was the engine mounting bolts! 3 were loose but like 1/16th of a turn haha. I started it up and it doesnt make any more noises and runs pretty quite now. Thanks