Cub Cadet any good ?

paulsgrass

Threads
A while back I was talking with someone in the Business who was using only Cub Cadet. He had a few crews working for him and said he was happy with the machines they made.

What are peoples opinions regarding Cub Cadet and real world experiences ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is your opinion about beer ?
What do you think about Ford ?

Please treat us with some respect.
Every manufacturer makes good stuff and some not so good stuff then if you are lucky some outstandingly great stuff and if you are unlucky total trash.
I now have near 50 2000 series Cub Cadet mowers in my service run
Up untill MTD stopped making the spindle housings I was activly seeking out trashed ones to repair & on sell to my customers.
If one of the after market companies starts making them then I will resume doing so
OTOH I would not do the same with the LTX series.

If you want an opinion then be specific otherwise all you are going to get is prejudices

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When MTD started supplying tractors for Cub Cadet the quality dropped drastically. You are now basically get an MTD unit with a yellow hood and fenders. You get what you pay for. Paul I suggest you read and follow your own post.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Asking somebodies opinion on a specific brand will vary within that brand since they all make different levels of products, and most hold up well if used for their intended purpose. Most techs don't look at a specific brand name, we look at them as a manufacturer. So Cub Cadet, Troybilt, Bolens, Remington, Craftsman, Yard Machine, Yard Man are all MTD, to each their own. Husqvarna is Husqvarna, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Dixon, Jonsered, Red Max, McCulloch, Peerless transaxle. Take your pick within that line up.

From this years repairs, I wouldn't suggest JD, Kubota, or anything with a Kawasaki engine because that is what I worked on the most this year. Next year that list could include Country Clipper, and anything with a Chinese engine.

Throw in the, just because the product has a specific manufacturers name on it doesn't mean that they made it, or even service, warranty, or support it. Poulan Pro battery products, Snapper battery products warrantied and serviced by Greenworks dealers. Snapper products sold at Walmart manufactured by MTD warrantied and serviced by Briggs mass merchant support dealers not standard Snapper dealers. Brute edgers, and tillers warrantied and serviced by Ardisam/Earthquake dealers., are all farmed out products

paulsgrass

Threads
How low / high would you judge Cub Cadet parts , performance, stability, less break downs etc. compared to others ? There must be the Rolls Royce of Lawn mowers the one everyone compares to.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There really is not way of judging one brand over another. Everybody has about the same issues to some varying degree. Most commercial cutters run Scag in my area, Their mower of choice a few years ago was Dixon until Husqvarna purchased them, and most commercial cutters traded their Dixon mowers for Scag the year Husqvarna purchased them. I went from selling 50 sets of Dixon blades a year to couldn't give them away in one growing season.

I am seeing more JD the past couple years and seeing less and less CC, so it could just be a shift in consumer purchasing trends, or CC is loosing market share. Either way I don't see a lot of CC, and that could be due to them not breaking down, or could be that they are not being sold compared to other brands. I am also picking up hints that my JD service demands will increase even more next year because people are getting tired of paying the JD dealers high prices for spring service.

dougand3

Threads
Asking somebodies opinion on a specific brand will vary within that brand since they all make different levels of products, and most hold up well if used for their intended purpose. Most techs don't look at a specific brand name, we look at them as a manufacturer. So Cub Cadet, Troybilt, Bolens, Remington, Craftsman, Yard Machine, Yard Man are all MTD, to each their own. Husqvarna is Husqvarna, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Dixon, Jonsered, Red Max, McCulloch, Peerless transaxle. Take your pick within that line up.

From this years repairs, I wouldn't suggest JD, Kubota, or anything with a Kawasaki engine because that is what I worked on the most this year. Next year that list could include Country Clipper, and anything with a Chinese engine.

Throw in the, just because the product has a specific manufacturers name on it doesn't mean that they made it, or even service, warranty, or support it. Poulan Pro battery products, Snapper battery products warrantied and serviced by Greenworks dealers. Snapper products sold at Walmart manufactured by MTD warrantied and serviced by Briggs mass merchant support dealers not standard Snapper dealers. Brute edgers, and tillers warrantied and serviced by Ardisam/Earthquake dealers., are all farmed out products

Very nice explanation.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quality & durability are not what you are gong to find in very large companies that are relying on high volume sales.

So companies that are niche players will generally make superiour products.
Companies where the owners name is on the side of the machine are generally better that a corperate named machine.
So for instance Walkers tend to be a cut above and Mr Walker has been very helpful to me in the past.
However one would never put a Walker over rough paddock with 12" tall grass.
JD commercial grade gear tends to be good but I would never recommend one of my customers buy a 100 series JD.

Down here Toro Has been working hard to get bit chunk of the commercial market

The EU Husqvarna articulated mowers can not be beaten for ease of work & longevity

Back to the original reply.

Tell the forum what you are wanting to do and you will get some ideas
What would be recommended for daily mowing the manicured mansion lawns in Hollywood is going to be a lot different to some thing that is right for acres in Salt Lake City.
What works well in Arizonia probably wont cut the mustard Florida .