Cub cadet 2166 spark problems

Tim7791

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently got this 2166 for a deal estate sale has a ch16s now wires were chewed-chopped idk on the coil/ignition side of the harness Believe motor been swapped tractor has about 360 hours motor appear to have 200 range according to newer filter but issue is I tried to check spark knelt on the pedal not thinking about kill switch as I've killed the ones in my last 2 MTDs got couple sparks then nothing next day I sat on the seat no spark until I let off the (start) position then couple sparks as the motor turned last couple rotation key in the on position so I'm not sure what to think ignition problem? kill switch problem? Any ideas

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
see if this service manual helps you out, look through electrical, section 7.

Tim7791

Forum Newbie
Threads
see if this service manual helps you out, look through electrical, section 7.
Thanks I'll check that out I have all the diagram pictures each system highlighted I just wish it was laid out better but I played with it again last night and it spark immediately then nothing but I noticed when I turned the key "off" I gave a spark tried and replicated that result 3or4times

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the spark plug and install a spark tester on the plug wire and crank engine. Does it have spark? If not remove kill wire from coil and repeat. Does it have spark cranking? If yes probably bad ignition switch or wiring. If has spark when cranking in first test reinstall plug and check for spark when cranking.

Tim7791

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I'll check that out I have all the diagram pictures each system highlighted I just wish it was laid out better but I played with it again last night and it spark immediately then nothing but I noticed when I turned the key "off" I gave a spark tried and replicated that result 3or4times

Tim7791

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been a few days tried switching the ignition from my mtd which was a replacement had same plug but not good started blowing fuses I swapped back and hit the starter with jumpers and spark fired up for a minute had The air filter and stuff off full choke so I'm thinking the ignition switch is faulty when it's turning over stop's send spark signal cuz I had a spark at beginning at the end after I turned the keys back but nothing else in between IDK scratching my head

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stick your finger in the spark plug boot. Crank the engine over. You should see pretty quick if it has spark. No need to buy any tools. If you feel a zap, you are golden.

Dull comedy aside, get a spark tester like Hammer said.

slomo

Tim7791

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stick your finger in the spark plug boot. Crank the engine over. You should see pretty quick if it has spark. No need to buy any tools. If you feel a zap, you are golden.

Dull comedy aside, get a spark tester like Hammer said.

slomo
What's a spark tester gonna tell me ?I I just had it running yesterday seems something interrupting I'm starting to think ignition switch cuz oil lights on turning on every time I turn key and I got it to maintain spark through motor turning also during further inspection I noticed the contact on the flywheel was really crusty from sitting so long I cleaned it up before I got everything going so might be that simple I was already late and happy to have heard it's run Strong for the minute it did I didn't have time to do anything else

ng

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According Kohler only CH16 was used on the Cub Cadets CH16-45509

This engine originally used a SAM module. IF the engine hasn't been converted to DSAI find the red on the SAM module and check 12 +- vdc when in both run and start positions. If not present in either position then you mower side electrical problem but if the voltage is there in both positions then the SAM module is bad and you will need to upgrade the system to DSAI using kit 12 707 01-S. Kit will include conversion installation instructions.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the CH16 has the DSAI (ASAM or DSAM) ignition there will be a black plastic box on the side of the engine. That box or the coil can be bad. The 12 070 01 s is the original DSAI coil and works with the "smart spark" module. To upgrade to the MDI (magneto discharge ignition) as far as i know kohler does not have a kit for the CH16 The ones i have done I had to get the 32 707 01 s kit for a twin cylinder engine. The plug wire is shorter than the coil wire for the CH16. If you reroute it it will work.
Both of the DSAI systems are notorious for failing with intermitent spark. Also, if smart spark module loses power intermittently from bad relay contacts the engine will die like you turned the key off but will usually start right back up.