Cub 1440 Backfires and has oil everywhere

Cub1440

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cub cadet runs terrible, it has a new carb, new coils, new alternator, and new starter. any help on how to fix it would be appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about supplying us with the model information from the engine so we can see what you are working on.

Cub1440

Forum Newbie
Threads
How about supplying us with the model information from the engine so we can see what you are working on.
Sorry about that, it’s a Briggs model 294447 type 0445-01

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Again this is not a Western Union telegram service that charges by the word so how about some more specific detail ?
Runs bad is not much to go on .

Cub1440

Forum Newbie
Threads
Again this is not a Western Union telegram service that charges by the word so how about some more specific detail ?
Runs bad is not much to go on .
it backfires when trying to add throttle and when at idle it goes between sputtering and running good. like it will struggle and then instantly run good and then go back to stuttering. it also diesels for about 5 seconds after shutting it off and blows fire out of the carb when trying to add throttle, sometimes it wont even rev up when adding throttle and instead will just stay at low rpm's and sputter.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the bolt out of the flywheel & check that the timing key is still intact
The key way should make a perfect square .
Then do a leak down test , a blown head gasket can do this
Loosen the carb and see if fuel drips out past the manifold gasket
Was it a genuine carb, a certified good carb from a real shop or a Amazon/ebay lucky dip carb ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Someone throwing parts at the problem.

Questions: What was the original problem? Was the flywheel torque back to spec after changing the stator [alternator]?

Cub1440

Forum Newbie
Threads
Someone throwing parts at the problem.

Questions: What was the original problem? Was the flywheel torque back to spec after changing the stator [alternator]?
at first it wouldn't run and i changed the fuel solenoid and got it running but it was cutting out while i was driving it. then i took it apart and tried to fix it and now it runs much worse. when i put the flywheel back on i used an impact because i don't have a torque wrench.

Cub1440

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the bolt out of the flywheel & check that the timing key is still intact
The key way should make a perfect square .
Then do a leak down test , a blown head gasket can do this
Loosen the carb and see if fuel drips out past the manifold gasket
Was it a genuine carb, a certified good carb from a real shop or a Amazon/ebay lucky dip carb ?
i know the timing key is intact because i just took the flywheel off yesterday
I drained the oil this morning and it smelled like gas, this is a sign of a blown head gasket, right?
I don't think it is a genuine carb as i did buy it off Ebay.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may have multiple problems now with all the parts and changes you have been throwing at it. My guess is that you will need to go over your work to be sure each step was done correctly, then focus on whatever problem is left. Oil that smells like gas and oil that is thinned by gas are two different issues. Was the dipstick level higher than when you changed the oil?