Criterion 320 blade spindle disassembly?

Rmosher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

I have a Criterion 320 with the 61 inch front mower deck. I'm trying to figure out if you can tear down and refurbish the blade spindle assemblies. It has a bearing at the top and bottom of the shaft that each one seems to be retained with a snap ring but how the heck do you remove the bearings and the shaft after that? Any help would be appreciated!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Rmosher

Forum Newbie
Threads

remove snap rings & old grease. a ball peen hammer & a brass punch with spindle in vise or a ball peen hammer & a piece of pvc pipe that has same inside diameter as spindle bearings in vise, you may have to hand pack new bearings with grease if not sealed bearings, after reassembly grease each spindle assy. until grease eases out.

Is it possible that the shaft is bent too much to remove? I have beat on it with a hammer and it has barely moved. I should note that this is an old spindle that I replaced with a new assembly I am just trying to understand how to service it. It ended up hitting a steel sign post and bending the blade and the shaft as well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More likely the bearings have corroded in position
If you have a press or a big clamp ( sash claps work well )
You can apply some pressure to the bearing then apply some heat to the housing.
When it shifts a little, some penetrant or corrosion remover and push back the other way.
Repeat as necessary or till you get fed up and grab a big hammer.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it possible that the shaft is bent too much to remove? I have beat on it with a hammer and it has barely moved. I should note that this is an old spindle that I replaced with a new assembly I am just trying to understand how to service it. It ended up hitting a steel sign post and bending the blade and the shaft as well.
Yes possibly, I would grease spindles once a month during mowing season to ensure moisture is kept out & spindle assembly's remain well lubricated. This goes for entire mower.