Crankshafts on push mowers.

SpudDaddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am rough on mowers. Over the years I have bent crankshafts on push mowers multiple times due to hitting objects. Are there any push mowers with some type of spindle/blade system that will break before the shaft bends? I am aware of string mowers/brush cutters/weed eaters but sometimes I need use a push mower in areas that may have rocks or trash.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I haven't the system used in the US on walk behind but the Aussies use a swing back system very similar to the large rotary (bush hog) mowers that farmers use. The Aussies apparently like mowing rocks and other things instead of removing them. But that is just the impression I get.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When Victa did their big push into the US market in 74 they were a run away success.
Before the end of the season the US government had deemed that swing back blades are a massive safety hazard and banned their use on domestic walk behind mowers. Fairly sure there were some USA made domestic walk behinds that used swing backs as well .
In 82 Victa exported a large number of their Vortex mowers into Canada , a fully shrouded very quiet mower again with swing back blades and the US government got the Canadian government to ban them because they were considered to be too quiet so idiot Americans would run over their own feet because they did not know the mower was running. Nothing what so ever to do with competing with local products
Now if you want to be a criminal , we do make a swing back blade mounting bracket that suites some USA mowers
And I won't say how they got there but apparently some US citizens managed to get their hands on blade carriers & blades
You might like to perouse the RGS catelogue
Common mower sizes down here are 18" or 19" cut
The Hondas are 19" or 21"
The Big Bob is 21"
and some others are also 22"
Anything over 22" are for ride on mowers except VIC7200 which is a 24" slasher ( brush Hog to you )
And note the boss sizes as we get both US 7/8" & 1" cranks + EU 25mm cranks

And AFAIK the USA ( & Canada ) are the only countries on the planet who put bar blades on push mowers

Tbone0106

Threads
Something to consider.....

Get yourself a walk-behind line trimmer. DR makes a dandy, but if you don't want to pony up that kind of coin, there are others. I have an older MTD with a 5 hp Tecumseh engine that has a 22" cut (when the line is fresh) and it does a bang-up job! The line I use is super-heavy -- I want to say .155" -- and super tough, with a wire core. I picked up this unit used for.... less than $200, IIRC. Rocks, stumps, branches, roots, fenceposts.... nothing bothers it. Of course, the rougher you get with it, the more often you'll be replacing the lines. When I use mine, I always have a spare pair in my pocket. But replacing those lines beats the hell out of replacing the engine.

MowerBladeService

Forum Newbie
Threads
you could get one that had a blade brake system like the Honda XR217 or you might see if Meg-Mo has any blades to fit it.

sheenist

Threads
SpudDaddy: Get a mower with a belt drive, that will protect your crankshaft.
Sheenist