Crankcase Leakage Check Methodology

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Does anyone out there have a good way of checking crankcase leakage? I've got a good F engine with 92 cold PSI, so I'd like to use it without breaking the crankcase open or replacing the seals if they're OK. I'm thinking of rigging up a flange to put on the exhaust port and putting a slight pressure to leak check the seals with the piston near TDC. I'm thinking this is safer than messing around with the reed valves. Anybody done anything like this?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
That might work since it is a reed valve engine. You usually do a cc pressure check the other way around but like I said yours is a reed engine and if the reed doesn't leak you might get by with it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You would also need to vac test the crankcase as seals tends to leak under vacuum.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
You would also need to vac test the crankcase as seals tends to leak under vacuum.
Seals leaking under vacuum is a common cause of the engine not running well since it's only supposed to draw from the carburetor, so I'm not against that check, but I was hoping a few inches of air pressure would identify that problem. This test is simpler to see the leak by spraying soapy water on the seals and looking for bubbles (might as well check the crankcase seal white you're at it, eh?) Do you think you could have a leak under vacuum, but not under pressure?
WRT the test itself, you're saying draw a vacuum on the crankcase and check the vacuum gauge for drop in vacuum, right? I can see three issues that would need to be addressed:
- If the seal leaks under vacuum, you could suck stuff into the crankcase
- Carburetor flange needs to be securely blocked off
- Vacuum sucks piston back down, closing off exhaust port. Need to lock shaft from rotating?

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Well, I went ahead and fabricated a crankcase leakage test rig. I set the regulator to provide about 5 psi and hooked it up to the exhaust port (the photo was taken before setting the psi). I found no leakage from either seal. My cheap-o flange made of plywood sure leaked, though. I had this concern that since the piston skirt never opens a gap to the crankcase even at TDC that air wouldn't make it into the crankcase, but I shouldn't have worried about it since the rings sure clear the ports. Out of curiosity I sprayed soapy water on the carburetor flange block...so now I have another thing to wonder about. The carburetor flange DID leak, which means air was escaping around the reed valves. Since you can't get an air leak from here (you'd be getting fuel-air mixture), I don't know if this is a problem. How tight a seal are the reed valves supposed to give? Is the low pressure I was provided not adequate to close the reed valves, so I should ignore it? Oh...it did prove that air was making it to the crankcase, so it relieved any worry about air not making it to the seals.

In the photos you'll see bubbles at the seals, these are not being generated by a leak - they're coming from the spray bottle. Compare to the incredible bubble generator around my test flange. I didn't take a photo of the carburetor block off bubbles. They were very slight.

Please, I would love to hear from you gurus out there. Should I use a higher pressure for the test? Any other issues with my test method? Or my results? Thanks!01_EngineWithFlange_a.jpg02_EngineWithFlange_b.jpg03_LowPressureRegulator.jpg04_UpperSeal.jpg05_LowerSeal.jpg06_LeakingExhaustPortFlange.jpg

Last edited:

Joed756

Threads
Why are you checking for crankcase leaks? Do you have reason to suspect a leak? I see you have another of these engines, why not check the cc pressure on it and see how close they are?

FuzzyDriver

Threads
I only checked for crankcase leaks because it was so easy once I was hooked up anyway to check for crankshaft seal leaks. Those are crankcase leaks, too, so maybe I'm misinterpreting your question (??). I have no reason to suspect a leak, but since I am building up a mower I want to make sure the engine I use, which came from a scrapped mower, didn't get scrapped because of an engine issue (this particular engine is from a group of six mostly-scrapped mowers I bought as a group). I'm going to check what I can with the engine 100% accessible before I build up the mower. If I can tell that it, needs seals then I'm going to replace them now. Looks like they're fine, but I don't have a feel for how high a crankcase pressure I should use for the leak check. Crankcase pressure when running oscillates between some positive pressure and a vacuum. I suspect it never reaches a very high pressure on the power stroke, but how high?

"I see you have another of these engines, why not check the cc pressure on it and see how close they are?"

I don't understand where you're coming from on this question. Are you sure you understand what my test is doing? The pressure regulator is maintaining the crankcase pressure so it will be the same on every crankcase I check - unless the leak is so bad that the regulator can't keep up with the leakage!! 8^O

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Due to the way the seals are design the higher the pressure the tighter they seal as the lips are pressed against the shaft. It when vacuum is applied that they can leak easier the higher the vacuum as the lips are pulled away from the shaft. This is why it is wise to do both tests. The with your test jig is that wood is porous; therefore, you can not do the static pressure and vacuum tests which are percentage of loss tests over time. Usually express as PSI loss.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Due to the way the seals are design the higher the pressure the tighter they seal as the lips are pressed against the shaft. It when vacuum is applied that they can leak easier the higher the vacuum as the lips are pulled away from the shaft. This is why it is wise to do both tests. The with your test jig is that wood is porous; therefore, you can not do the static pressure and vacuum tests which are percentage of loss tests over time. Usually express as PSI loss.
Right, static pressure tests (i.e., drop tests) won't work with any flange leakage. That's why I'm using a pressure regulator. I didn't expect the wood (easy to make) flanges to leak so much, but c'est la vie, as long as the regulator can keep up. I don't have equipment to supply a steady vacuum, but if I did how would you detect the leak (soap bubble test obviously wouldn't work, heh heh)? Hmmm....maybe wrap the wife's Saran wrap around it and see if it's getting sucked in?

To do a static vacuum check, I do have a manual vacuum pump. My hand hurts just thinking about how many times I'd have to squeeze it to get a good vacuum on a crankcase. I'd also need to make steel flanges to replace my leaky, wooden ones.

Bonus Funny Story: A technician at work needed to check condenser vacuum. He checked out a U-tube manometer for the test. When he hooked it up, the condenser sucked the contents of the manometer right into the condenser. I think he still hasn't lived that down. :D

If I only had this one engine to do and if I had 100% confidence that replacing a seal will always result in a seal that doesn't leak, I'd just replace them and be done with it. I've already spent more on test equipment fabrication that two seals cost. And multi-hours of labor.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
I spent the last couple days on-and-off making test flanges out of steel. They work great and don't leak like the wooden ones I whipped up. This test equipment buildup should make leak checking go super-fast in the future. I duplicated my previous check to verify it all works well with no leaks. Anybody out there want to buy some slightly-used wooden flanges, heh heh?

07_ExhaustFlangeLeakCheck.jpg08_ExhaustFlangeCloseup.jpg09_CarburetorBlankFlange.jpg