Craftsman YT3000 Transmission either grinds, kicks lever or just doesn't move mower one or all three the mower doesn't move I need suggestions

charleneje

Threads
  • / Craftsman YT3000 Transmission either grinds, kicks lever or just doesn't move mower one or all three the mower doesn't move I need suggestions
I have a Craftsman YT3000 mod.no. 917.288525. My transmission has gradually stopped pulling it started after I had mowed a few hours in summer heat when I got on very slight grade it stopped pulling that was the start of my problems, now it has got where I cannot move in reverse and makes a noise when I try to move forwards for some reason it will move forwards but at great difficulty and there is a slight grinding noise.
I cannot take it to a repair shop because I have no money to pay for repairs because I am 72 and live on Social Security and am unable to work due to previous injuries, I can however work on it myself unless I have to buy a complete new transmission I am at a loss as to what to do if I saved up and bought a used riding mower I foresee problems with used items after all, all you do when buying used is buying someone else's problems I don't know of anyone that buys a new mower when the mower they have is working properly. I bought this mower new from Sears Feb/March 2014 and had nothing but problems with it, it didn't help my confidence in it when I learned this particular mower was discontinued around the time I bought it, that I learned a year or two after buying it. Can someone help me with suggestions what to do about the transmission I have looked after this mower servicing it correctly etc. I have not lifted the back up to look at the transmission because it is obscured without taking parts off and don't want to take anything of until I get some ideas as to what could be wrong I checked the brake it is disengaging ok and even though I replaced the main transmission drive belt during the first year of owning the mower the belt is routed correctly. It definately appears to be something wrong in the trans., itself are these repairable?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Craftsman YT3000 Transmission either grinds, kicks lever or just doesn't move mower one or all three the mower doesn't move I need suggestions
First I would check the drive belt and the two v-idlers. After 7 years all three can be heavily worn.

The Hydro Gear T2 transaxke is fair robust. Due to design the brake calipier can stick but is fairly simople to check and to repair. From there is the hydro is needing repairs then I recommend letting an experience shop to handle that part of the repairs.

oldlawnguy

Threads
First I would check the drive belt and the two v-idlers. After 7 years all three can be heavily worn.

The Hydro Gear T2 transaxke is fair robust. Due to design the brake calipier can stick but is fairly simople to check and to repair. From there is the hydro is needing repairs then I recommend letting an experience shop to handle that part of the repairs.
1645288913182.png1645288913182.png

I'd 2nd what StarTech says. A few years ago I had tranny problems and it was one of the idler pulleys made of PVC not metal. It was shredded as you can imagine with friction over time. Bearing could be shot as well.