Craftsman wont propel and drive belt slips

Eugdot

Forum Newbie
Threads
At the end of last season I replaced both belts and stored it for the season after I winterized it. Today I used the snow blower for the first time since and it would not propel or revers and the Drive belt kept slipping off when in drive. I was able to throw snow but not able to move the thrower unless I push it with blunt force. I even went back to the old belts and the back belt the slips. Maybe its the belt tension spring that goes on the pully is bad? I adjusted the handle tension but still slips. any help would be greatly appreciated. it appears to happen when the disk tilts and rotates to the friction disk the belt seams to slip. the friction wheel doesn't look cracked or warn? and all the gears look aligned just a lost for what's happening.

Craftsman Snowblower Spring
Genuine OEM Part # 73204308C | RC Item #4370651
I think this is the spring, the pully reams to tensioner pully seams to rotate freely not sticking.

its a craftsman
model 247.881730
serial : 1/102b30631

Attachments

• File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 13
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 12
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 11

Eugdot

Forum Newbie
Threads
another pic of the gears

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 11

Eugdot

Forum Newbie
Threads
is this the position, I just recently replaced the carburetor and had to remove the red shroud, maybe I moved it when I did it or over tightened the bolt so it the spring lost its resting position,

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpg
    IMG_7254.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you saying the drive belt comes off the pulley? If the belt stays on the pulley, does the drive disc spin? If the drive disc is spinning but you have no drive in any position, I would be replacing the drive tire shown in post number 2.

Nordern

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, so I had the same problem with a 2010 26" Craftsman snowblower. I first replaced the friction drive disc, no improvement. Next I replaced the drive belt, no improvement. So I started the blower with the belt guard removed, placed it in drive and saw the drive belt was slipping. Not enough tension on the drive belt. I removed the tension pulley and noticed the tension spring was not tight in the housing. I turned the spring so it was tight in the housing and replaced the tension pulley, at the same time I ordered a new spring. Once I replaced the pulley assembly I stared it up, engaged the drive, and it took off like a bat out of hell.

bkeller500

Threads
Very similar to my Cub snow blower last year.......Fortunately I had dug it out in October before the cold came in and did a test run. Noticed the problem and got the tools out. A couple hours of work but that beast works pretty good now.