Craftsman Weedwacker 4 cycle 30cc trimmer Bogging down

lgosnell

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Weedwacker 4 cycle 30cc trimmer Bogging down
I've got a 2013 Craftsman Weedwacker 4 cycle 30cc trimmer that someone gave me that is bogging down when you give it throttle, It will die. Wouldn't run at all when I first got it. He was tired of messing with it. I went thru the carburetor and used carb cleaner on it with pressurized air, replaced the metering diaphragm, replaced the fuel lines and purge bulb. Starts right up on full throttle with full choke position 3, runs pretty good in half choke position 2 but on choke off position 1 idles fine but bogs right down with throttle. This is a walbro WYLA 3 carb with external bulb and does NOT have the low and high speed adjustment screws. Only adjustment is the idle speed screw on the throttle. So what should I be looking for now? Air leak maybe on gaskets. Maybe replace fuel pump diaphragm? Replace the whole carb with a new one $12. Maybe try and adjust the needle lever using the needle level tool? Appreciate any suggestions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds very much like a blocked main jet or a blocked check valve,
The former can be cleaned provided you replace the O ring
The latter is no longer a service part so is not available AFAIK .
Did you set the needle valve using the correct Walbro tool ?

lgosnell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried to set it with the W tool and the side of the tool with wyl. It is close. Barely touches but does push down ever so slightly. Couldn't get it perfect. Doesn't push on it enough to lift the needle valve so I figured it would be close enough. If the main jet is the one in the center of the carb with the little removable plug with oring then it is clear, I checked it and verified it wasn't plugged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put it back together .
Hook it up to the fuel lines
Turn the carb sideways and blow through it with your compressor .
You should get atomised fuel coming out the engine end,
Also the amount of fuel should vary as you rotate the throttle control

Purge valve should be downstream of the carb
Fuel filter -> cab -> purge valve -> return line

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need to using the new W-tool to set the metering lever or not the old tool. New tool is PN 500-528-1. Old tool is PN 500-13-1

Note for us techs both W-tools are needed in tool kits.

Also if this is the version of 4 cycle handheld using oil dipper you maybe wasting your time and money as are notorious to fail from lack of proper oiling.

lgosnell

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to using the new W-tool to set the metering lever or not the old tool. New tool is PN 500-528-1. Old tool is PN 500-13-1

Note for us techs both W-tools are needed in tool kits.

Also if this is the version of 4 cycle handheld using oil dipper you maybe wasting your time and money as are notorious to fail from lack of proper oiling.
This is the 4 cycle that uses the site glass on the side for oil level. Only real complaints I've read about on this model is hard starting and pull rope issues with star washer failure causing non engagement issue. Also has ability to start with a external drill motor. I may try and run the idle speed up higher right below where clutch would engage and see if the bogging issue improves, if not I'll take the carb back off and go thru it again. Or there is always the $12 new carburetor option. I just hate to give up on something like this since it's just a hobby of mine.

Last edited: