craftsman weed eater

gepp

Threads
I have a craftsman mod. 1e022db2268 string trimmer that i am replacing the spark module on, but i dont know the gap. Can anyone help. Thanks gepp

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
geep, Today there is a post on a chainsaw module where 2 responders specified .010." I suggest finding a specific spec for the make as 2 strokers (yours?) seem to have a lot of coil adjustability (from the pics)

gepp

Threads
I put the new pack in and set the gap to 0.10 thsnds., but i still dont get any spark. Any thing else to try? ythanks gepp

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are using a business card thickness? Find the gap on some factory literature if possible.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
gepp, In a 1999 chainsaw repair manual I looked at about 5 makes and the ignition gap was .012" to .013." If in doubt get a micrometer or caliper and search for a piece of plastic, cardboard, or brass shim stock to be sure. Three out of four called for locktite because of vibration.

Edit: A little late but...my Ryobi crank developed wear after 10 years and caused the flywheel to contact the module. Look for marks on your old one.

gepp

Threads
I had to use a 15thsnds. feeler gauge to get 0.10 thsnds. because every time i locked it up it would still close up. i agree with the loctite theory AFTER i get some spark, Is there any kind of bench test to determine if power pack is defective. Thanks,geppsr

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You bought new? Was it in factory box? Was it used? Recently I read about good "invisible" spark. Try putting a white pc of paper behind the plug. The Briggs guys say their modules are testable on a machine, but not always so effective. You are spinning the flywheel, not just turning. It is not battery supplied so needs some rpm to generate pulse.

gepp

Threads
spinning the flywheel, fast. Do you mean put a piece of paper in the gap of the plug? thanks, geppsr

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
gepp. Sorry, I meant if there is such a thing as an (almost) invisible spark maybe a piece of white paper as a background would help you see it if there, Spin I guess should be normal pull cord speed.