Craftsman tl2000 Briggs and Stratton model 331877-0869-g5

Claywparcher58

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman tl2000 Briggs and Stratton model 331877-0869-g5
My boy bought this mower it ran for 3 days and stopped running I took out the spark plug and saw oil so I changed the head gasket and then I put a new solenoid on then I put a new carburetor on and it turns over yet it won't start so I checked the magneto coil with a multimeter and it is good I'm stumped I even took all the rust off the coil yet it still won't start I even took the safety switch off the magneto coil thinking that would allow it to start until I get it to start can anyone help me.

Attachments

• 3318770869G5_.pdf
    521 KB · Views: 3

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you have no spark with the kill wire unplugged, the coil is bad. Testing the coil with a meter is generally useless.. and this may sound silly but, you do have gas in the tank?
you said you saw oil... how much oil? did the oil run out of the spark plug hole? If you have any starting fluid/carburetor cleaner, spray a short burst, a second or two, into the plug hole, reinstall plug and wire, try to start. if it fires and dies, fuel problem, if it doesn't fire, most likely, no spark.
Engine needs 3 things to run
Spark (at the right time)
Air and Fuel (mixed by carb)
Compression

Claywparcher58

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have no spark with the kill wire unplugged, the coil is bad. Testing the coil with a meter is generally useless.. and this may sound silly but, you do have gas in the tank?
you said you saw oil... how much oil? did the oil run out of the spark plug hole? If you have any starting fluid/carburetor cleaner, spray a short burst, a second or two, into the plug hole, reinstall plug and wire, try to start. if it fires and dies, fuel problem, if it doesn't fire, most likely, no spark.
Engine needs 3 things to run
Spark (at the right time)
Air and Fuel (mixed by carb)
Compression
Thank you I will try that when I pulled the head gasket off I seen it was bad so I will try to clean the spark plug hole.

Claywparcher58

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you I will try that when I pulled the head gasket off I saw it was bad so I will try to clean the spark plug hole. I have not worked on a mower for a long time I saw on uto video on how to test the the magneto coil with the multimeter It said it was 4.58 so it may be still a bad coil