Craftsman tecumseh 6.75hp carb replacement

TylerH

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Sears Craftsman 6.75 horsepower lawn mower. Tecumseh engine. Can't find the Tecumseh engine number anywhere but I have some information from the Craftsman label. I have been told I need a new carburetor or a carburetor rebuild. It seems I can get a new carburetor off of Amazon much cheaper than doing the carb rebuild.
But I can't seem to get 100% certainty on whether the replacement carb is the correct one.

Model 143.056700
DOM (? Don't know what that is) 05073CD0767
195cc

Amazon description:
640350 carburetor for Tecumseh V195EA LV195XA LEV100 LEV105 LEV120 6.75 HP engines.

I can't find those numbers on the mower anywhere. Where should i look? How can i be sure this matches my mower.

Thanks so much

Attachments

• 20220625_153556.jpg
    20220625_153556.jpg
    868.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb number you need is Tecumseh #640350 which you posted. Personally I would never purchase a carb from Amazon or Fleabay unless I absolutely had to. They are not reliable and a total crap shoot. If you are mechanically inclined you can clean and rebuild the carb for less than $10.00, All you need is a needle and seat kit, plus a new intake gasket. Plenty of videos on the web to assist you.

TylerH

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carb number you need is Tecumseh #640350 which you posted. Personally I would never purchase a carb from Amazon or Fleabay unless I absolutely had to. They are not reliable and a total crap shoot. If you are mechanically inclined you can clean and rebuild the carb for less than $10.00, All you need is a needle and seat kit, plus a new intake gasket. Plenty of videos on the web to assist you.
Thx. When i read the reviews of the carbs they seemed to be happy with them. The shop near me wanted $140 to rebuild. I wasn't sure what was involved and while i can likely do the mmechanics of the work, i didn't know if i would be able to make the judgment calls on what looked good or bad to replace or adjust or work on. Suggestions of where to get the parts you mention?

TylerH

Forum Newbie
Threads
I should mention... i didn't actually post that carb number. That was the amazon description of a carb for sale there. I doubt it is tecumseh. They likely just used that carb number. Still not sure that is the part number of what i have currently.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Intake gasket #25756, kit #631021B. Here is the procedure I use, along with videos on the web you should be able to fix it.

Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

TylerH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the work you went through in typing it out. I've got to admit that is more than I think I wanted to take on. That's partially why I thought just replacing the carburetor would be the easier way to go. But I'm still left with the question as to how to verify that what is being advertised on Amazon, matches with what is currently on my lawn mower.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don’t know of any way to verify anything puchsed on Amazon. That’s why I never buy anything there. There are people on this forum that do, but I guarantee my parts and work so I don’t take chances.

TylerH

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don’t know of any way to verify anything puchsed on Amazon. That’s why I never buy anything there. There are people on this forum that do, but I guarantee my parts and work so I don’t take chances.
Appreciated. I guess what I'm trying to ask though is how do I verify the part number that is currently on my lawn mower? Not whether I can trust what is posted in the Amazon ad, but how I verify what is currently on my existing lawn mower. The sears label doesn't seem to have real specific info as to the tecumseh engine model? Or does it?

TylerH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Doesn’t take a lot to verify the engine. Just type in the number, that’s what i did to justify my reply. I dont know any other way to prove it to you. https://www.partstree.com/models/143-056700-craftsman-engine-made-by-tecumseh/
When you say "the number" it seems you are referring to the number on the amazon ad. I don't know where on my lawnmower or what number from the sears label, is the one to use/match since the sears label seems to refer to the craftsman model but not the tecumseh engine model.