Craftsman starts then shuts off

Lawn Quixote

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,
Sears Craftsman mower has been running great for years and I treat it well.
I was mowing fine then the motor turned off. Each time I try to start, it turns over fine runs for 2 to 3 seconds then shuts off. Figured a fuel issue so I pulled the carburetor, disassembled it, carefully cleaned all the jets/orifices with Gumout, confirmed float is able to move fine, put it back together - same thing. Thought I might have missed something so repeated the above process; no dice. Confirmed fuel pump works by shooting gas out of the hose that hooks up to carburetor. When I turn the key, the fuel solenoid makes a clicking sound (at least I think its the solenoid clicking) at each of the detent positions (lights, run, start, off) - so guessing that works? Will the solenoid work if not in the carb? I guess what I'm asking is will it actuate if I unscrew it from the bottom of the carburetor, have it plugged in, and turn the key?
Here's what I have:
Sears Craftsman Tractor Model Number 917.275034
Kohler Pro V Twin 23 HP
Model # CV675S
Spec # 75544
Serial # 3202807281
Please - someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have a oil pressure switch next to the oil filter or on some it is located between the V behind the carb Will have a single wire going to it. If that switch is malfunctioning or you are having low oil pressure will cause the symptoms that you describe.

Lawn Quixote

Forum Newbie
Threads
ILENGINE - Looked in the areas you described and on the electrical schematic - I don't see a switch or wire for oil pressure. Maybe I'm missing it.

Lawn Quixote

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another couple of questions please as I'm starting to look toward wiring/electrical.
Does the fuel solenoid run off of two power sources? Start (battery) and the other in run mode? As soon as the key goes from "start" to "run" it dies.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Should be one power source but I have seen cases where the key switch would have power to the solenoid is run but not start. may have to see if you have 12 volts or will light a test light in both the start and run positions.

Lawn Quixote

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE
Just ran a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the wire going into the fuel solenoid and the mower stayed running. I'll try testing the voltage of the wire leading to the one I disconnected and see if I can read voltage in run mode with mower on. Guessing I will not see any otherwise motor would run normally.
So now I have to figure out how to find the fault. Where would be a good place to look? Not sure how to test the key switch.

Lawn Quixote

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's the latest - the motor will run on it's own with the key switch in the "lights-on" position but in the standard run position. I'm going to go out on a short limb and say it's the key switch. If I'm making the wrong assumption let me know.
thanks again ILENGINE

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would lean toward a key switch issue, but if you have a ohm meter I would pull the switch out and find out if you have continuity from the B terminal to the terminal that supplies power to the fuel solenoid. If you have continuity in the lights on position but not the run then I would think key switch, but there could also be another circuit that is giving fits also.. So would be better to confirm before throwing parts at it.

Lawn Quixote

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll try testing the terminals on the ignition switch and see if all have continuity with my ohm meter before buying parts. Thanks again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As AVB told you over on Jack's you have two problems. One is at the switch and the other is that your mower is not charging. It can operate with either down but not both.