Craftsman R1000 Motor turns but won't crank.....HELP!

Ganixle

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman R1000 Motor turns but won't crank.....HELP!
Was just given a Craftsman R1000 that has been sitting under a tarp since Hurricane Michael almost 2 years ago. Fairly clean and in great shape except it won't start. The motor turns over but won't crank up. Starter fluid in the air cleaner will start it for a second, a little gas in the spark plug hole will cause it to crank and run momentarily but stops immediately. I disconnected the gas line at the midway filter and nothing came out of a full tank, I could smell varnish so I know the system is probably coated in it. Replaced the line and gas now flows freely from the tank through the line, replaced the spark plug. My guess is the carburetor. Tried spraying it out with carb cleaner through the gas port and the other larger line port that comes in from the top but still won't crank. Have found a new carburetor to replace but don't want to keep chasing ghosts if I can pin the problem down. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The Engine is Craftsman 420 CC Overhead Valve if that makes a difference.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, i'd clean and/or rebuild the carb, spraying cleaner through the fuel line nipple won't cut it.

Ohio Roger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had the same problem. The mower was parked in my storage shed about two weeks after the last use. Would not start. The problem was that mice had chewed through the wire that runs to the gas solenoid valve on the carburetor. When the mower is off, the valve is shut. When the key is turned on, the valve is opened and gas flows. Since the wire was chewed through, the valve wasn't opening and the carburetor was not getting gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the carburettor has a shut down solenoid then that is most likely the problem
They get varnished closed
Usually you can revive them with some carb cleaner & mechanical working of the plunger.
When properly clean it will snap back when energised with an audible click .

gainestruk

Threads
Be sure and take blower housing off and check for mice nest and damage, sitting that long under tarp you have a good chance of chewed wires and a nest that will overheat engine when you get it started.

Cusser

Threads
Craftsman R1000 Motor turns but won't crank

Better thread titles:
Craftsman R1000 Motor turns but won't start
Craftsman R1000 Motor cranks but won't start

Cranks = turns