Craftsman mower 917.376060 with Briggs engine - sagging, surging now not starting

Vintshave

Threads
  • / Craftsman mower 917.376060 with Briggs engine - sagging, surging now not starting
I restored this mower early this summer. It was running fine for a couple of months and started on one pull. Last week, the mower ran, but with frequent surges and sags. Now, I can get it to start every 10 pulls, but it just surges and stops. Sometimes, it will not start at all. I pulled the fuel line off the carb and the gas was running freely.

I'm not sure what to do next and would appreciate some help.

John

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman mower 917.376060 with Briggs engine - sagging, surging now not starting
If it is surging then the fuel : air ratio is too lean
So either the carb is not putting enough fuel into the engine or air is entering after the carb has put the fuel in.
TO check for the latter saturate the manifold region with WD 40 ( or similar ) from a trigger sprayer .
Engine speed changes or exhaust smokes = manifold leak

Vintshave

Threads
If I can't get it to run for more than a couple of seconds, how am I going to see smoke?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Every search i get it shows that model number using what appears to be a Honda GCV engine.
First of all i would clean the carburetor which entails removing the airbox, and carb from engine, and disassembling the carb.
You can either give us the model number of the engine (If a briggs, should be stamped into the metal blower shroud above the sparkplug or muffler) or post a picture of the motor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower should have Briggs engine #123K02-0592-E1. Time to clean and rebuild carb with kit #398188. I use this procedure.
Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Loosen the nut on the bottom of the carb and drain the water/crap out.
See if that helps.

Vintshave

Threads
Mower should have Briggs engine #123K02-0592-E1. Time to clean and rebuild carb with kit #398188. I use this procedure.
Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.
I replaced the carb at the start of the season, but I will remove it and clean it out.