Craftsman mini cultivator model 536.292510

dspikes

Threads
I'm working on my Craftsman mini cultivator. It has a 2hp 2-stroke Tecumseh engine. I've replaced the carburetor 3 times, along with all of the gaskets. It will start with a squirt of starter fluid, and will run great! It will continue to start on it's own within an hour or so, but after it has rested for a couple of hours, it simply will not start without a shot of starter fluid. Since I'm on my third carburetor, and have cleaned all 3 of them thoroughly several times, I'm at a loss! Compression is good. Spark plug is new. I've cleaned the coil and flywheel magnets and re-gapped it. Any thoughts? Thanks, in advance, for the help!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You say compression is good, but what is the actual compression. Cranking and feeling what feels like good compression can be totally misleading.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you adjust the mixture when it was running to optimal? Is the choke working?

dspikes

Threads
I'll check the compression tomorrow with a compression tester. I adjusted the mixture while it was running. It has a manual choke lever, and it's working fine. It's a great little tiller! It's a beast for such a tiny machine, but I'm just at a loss as to what the issue is. I'll post the actual compression tomorrow.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
had a similar issue with a chainsaw, ended up the crank seals were leaking, and the cylinder was pretty scored up.

dspikes

Threads
I just checked the compression. It is right over 100psi.