Craftsman lt1000

tinkerer46

Threads
I've got a Craftsman lt1000 917.258492 with a 18hp Briggs model 422707 type 1516-01. The tractor runs fine until it gets real warm and then will start to smoke from the engine compartment. It almost seems to me that it's got a leak and its dripping on the muffler. Anyone have a suggestion. Thanks

Cusser

Threads
It almost seems to me that it's got a leak and its dripping on the muffler. Anyone have a suggestion.
Wash off the unit real well to see if it's just an oil leak onto the muffler ! Should not be that tough to see if the smoke is coming from outside of the exhaust or through tailpipe.

OldDiyer

Threads
It's possible that you do have a leak but before that if it were me, I would remove the upper shroud assy. than use a good degreaser and clean up the whole engine and frame as needed. If you use something like Simple Green you can flush everything off with your hose at high pressure. From experience after you do this be sure to let the machine set out in the sun for a few hours to dry off really good because sometimes things like connectors etc. need to dry out or machine may not start. After this you may be able to see any leaks aftger you run it for a while besides that if it was really dirty you may just have taken care of the problem just with the cleaning.

tinkerer46

Threads
Thanks very much guys, kinda makes sense. I'll give it a try

Elkins45

Threads
I’m guessing it’s your sump gasket. Mine has the exact same problem. Is there a puddle of oil on the floor when you park it after it’s been run?