Craftsman lt1000 burned wires

mikesignal

Threads
Hi all. I have an older lt1000, model 917271121. I believe it's a 1997. It has a Kohler cv16s engine. It cut off abruptly yesterday and I noticed a few burned wires. One has burned so bad it came out of the connector. I'm thinking something has shorted to ground. Not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks... pics attached.

Attachments

• PSX_20200821_061311.jpg
    PSX_20200821_061311.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20200821_061409.jpg
    PSX_20200821_061409.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 8

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
More likely corroded connection(s) causing high heat. You notice that the burned spots are at connectors. A short to ground usually blows a fuse or melts insulation off a wire. You need to do a resistance and output test of the alternator. Replace all the burnt pins and spade connectors and check fhe output of the voltage regulator.

mikesignal

Threads
Thanks. I'll take a look at the alternator and all connections .

mikesignal

Threads
I'm not sure what the black part on the side of the motor is called that has the burned connections, but there is a connector right before that with two yellow wires, one of the yellow wires burned right out of the connector. I traced the yellow wires back to one of the relays, and it's burned and melted the insulation on one of them at the relay. The old connector for the relay was bad, so I used blade connectors to connect the wires to the relay. Maybe that is what caused the problem.

Attachments

• relay burn.jpg
    relay burn.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The burned thing on the engine is the regulator / rectifier and it was it that failed.
The wire that takes the DC back to recharge the battery is not fused so if it shorts anywhere the alternator just keeps on pumping power down the wire till some thing burns out or blows up or catches fire .
You will probably find the alternator is also deceased .
Use your model numbers 917271121 to locate the parts manual for your mower on line.
In it should be the wiring diagram .

mikesignal

Threads
The burned thing on the engine is the regulator / rectifier and it was it that failed.
The wire that takes the DC back to recharge the battery is not fused so if it shorts anywhere the alternator just keeps on pumping power down the wire till some thing burns out or blows up or catches fire .
You will probably find the alternator is also deceased .
Use your model numbers 917271121 to locate the parts manual for your mower on line.
In it should be the wiring diagram .

thanks for the help. I replaced both regulator and alternator. Everything is working fine now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excellent result.
Just in time for your end of season service before you put it to bed.