Craftsman LT 1000 Model #917.272463 42" Mower

Brandi

Threads
I recently came into possession of a very nice Craftsman LT 1000 Model #917.272463. My issue is with the adjustment of the deck height. I can get it to go very low but on the highest setting I can get, it stays at 3 on the gauge. At it's highest setting, the bottom of the deck is 3" off the ground. My adjustment lever has only two positions. I do have an adjustment knob which I can use but there is no way I'm ever going to make to the high setting on the gauge. It seems as if even if I could make up the difference between setting #3 and "high," the shroud would hit the bottom of the mower. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpg
    IMG_5824.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 12

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well the deck lever which you are referring to has only positions raised and lower positions. The lower height is set by the adjustment knob.The number on the dial is just relative positions and not height in inches. And yes there is a height limitation due to spindle covers hitting the floor boards.

Brandi

Threads
Thank you for your fast response and information. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something by not being able to reach the "H" setting on the dial. Much appreciated.

OldDiyer

Threads
I have the LTX 1000 owned it from new in 2002, I had the same issue and was always wondering the same but found that as brought up by Star Tech the gauge height is just does not read positive for readings. What I have done and do is when I get the deck set up, I measure the exact blade height from blade to flat surface then I remove the cover over the gage and loosen the nut and rotate that gage to the proper number that way at least I am where I should be for a proper height setting. I don't believe when I lift the deck it isn't even close to 5 on the reading. This works for me and is easy to do. Thinking of this now I never really checked to see how the gage is if I move it to say 4 if it really reads 4in at the blades I will check tomorrow.

Brandi

Threads
Thank you. I have OCD and even though I know my blade is at it's highest level, seeing many clicks away from the high mark setting drives me crazy!! Thanks again.