craftsman LT 1000 axle

wvhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman LT 1000 automatic model 917.272460, it quit pulling. I checked key ways in wheels and they are ok, I jacked it up and pulled the wheels off and the axles turn slowly. the axle on the left slides out while turning, and I can grab it and it will move outward a little bit. is it possible a clip or whatever holds the axle in has come off? i am no mechanic,any help is appreciated. tia

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
There is not much holding the axle in usually just an E clip or a gear retainer
If one side can spin freely then the other will not drive much at all
The other end generally has a spline which can also strip.

So it is out with he tranny and pull it apart.
They are not very complicated and the hardest bit is cleaning them enough to split the case .
For you the important thing will be to take lots of photos so you can remember where everything went.

On the tranny itself should be some stickers with the makers name, and the model number of the transmission plus a bar code.
IF you can find it and post it people here can pull up service information & parts availibility

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Check drive belt & idler pulleys after removing deck.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/38vv4g4r1g-000529/hydro-gear-314-0510-engine-drivetrain-parts, see snap ring item 12 part #'s 169870/ 583034101 for $23.98.
Hydro Gear Transaxle 166768, GR 314-0510
any hardware store should have your snap ring for .50-$1.
Do not pay this amount for sealant when assembling cases back together.

what type & how much gear oil did put back in unit?

Last edited:

wvhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes,

They are not very complicated and the hardest bit is cleaning them enough to split the case .
For you the important thing will be to take lots of photos so you can remember where everything went.

On the tranny itself should be some stickers with the makers name, and the model number of the transmission plus a bar code.
IF you can find it and post it people here can pull up service information & parts availibility
Yes,

are there any videos showing how to disassemble?

wvhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just pulled my hydro apart and I just have a broke clip that holds the axle in, I called sears and they want $40.00 for a little clip. that seems high to me, does anyone know a cheaper place that I can get one? thanks

wvhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just seen the post where I can get one at a hardware store, thanks for the help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
make sure you find all the bits from the clip.
If you go to a hardwear store check the thickness of the clip they sell you.
Some are too thin & will pop out.
I had to get one from a bearing shop to get the right thickness .
Or to be honest a packet of 10 .

Congratulations by the way for getting it off & apart
they are a little daunting .

wvhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
if I cant find the correct clip, will it be ok to weld the gear to the shaft? I see videos of people welding them to make them positive traction.i ordered a kit from amazon of 300 clips, but they are the ones you use pliers to open up, would these be ok? thanks for the help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That was why I suggested to order them from a bearing shop
A plain external C clip will not work as well as an E clip.
If you go that way then put a washer between the clip and the casting or the tabs on the clip will eat out the casting
Welding is never a good idea