Craftsman Garden Tiller Pull Rope Problem.

deamer1

Threads
I have a 5hp briggs engine on a Craftsman garden tiller. The pull rope jerks out of my hand (Hurts a Lot!) upon starting.
This happened the first time, after using it/shutting it off/restarting after a hour or so. Got me gun shy to pull the rope very hard.
What causes this? Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without a model number just guessing but valves out of adjustment or bad compression release. sheared flywheel key.

Cusser

Threads
Without a model number just guessing but valves out of adjustment or bad compression release. sheared flywheel key.
When my backyard lawn mower cord practically pulled my arm off my shoulder, it was caused by a sheared flywheel key. These keys are made to "sacrificially" break in case the blade hits a stump or something, to prevent major engine damage.

BOND007

Forum Newbie
Threads
This sits under the screen on your flywheel. If the bearings are rusted or the contraption isn't moving freely the yes it will snatch back...

Attachments

• starter recoil 004.JPG
    starter recoil 004.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 4

deamer1

Threads
This sits under the screen on your flywhesel. If the bearings are rusted or the contraption isn't moving freely the yes it will snatch back...

deamer1

Threads
Thanks to everyone replying to my post. My computer bit the dust shortly after posting this, and I haven't been online for some time. I hadn't thought of the fly wheel key. (Who would have thunk?) Will post when I figure this out. The Covid situation put the skids to us, but we're back staying busy now. Thanks again!
Deamer1