Craftsman DYT 4000 Charging systems.

jaybyars

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope I'm doing this right! This is my first time on a forum. Please bear with me! Someone just gave me a DYT 4000 mower because it wouldnt charge the battery enough to keep the electric PTO engaged so since I'm not a mechanic I went out and bought a new stator simply because I couldn't think of anything else to do! So, here is my problem! The new stator has 2 yellow wires where the old one had a black and red. After much research into Briggs and Stratton charging systems (and trying to figure out why there wasn't a voltage regulator) I looked at the old stator and discovered the diode! Now, both wires are putting out 14 volts so I ordered a voltage reg that had a plug for the 2 yellow wires and the red one to go to the battery. That should be plenty to keep the PTO engaged right? If so, where do I run the red wire to? A terminal on the ignition switch? Direct to the battery? The existing wiring had been altered and damaged. I sure would appreciate any help Y'all can give me!!! Thank you!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually it would go to an A ( alternator ) terminal on the key switch
Some run it directly to the battery via the starter solenoid .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well personally I don't like guessing and just throwing money at the problem can get rather expensive fast. But since I sell electrical and other parts it does make me a lot of money plus I still get the eqipment in for final repairs. I had one customer to spend over $300 for electrical parts just to end bring the mower in for me to find the whole problem was just a bad 0.50 terminal. The customer got to
spend an additional $50 for me to find the real problem.

Please model number of both the mower (from number tag, probably starts with 917.) and model/type number off the engine. This we can actual get a good idea of how the equipment is setup.
The DYT4000 came with both manual and electric PTOs which has different electrical requirements. Usually the 3 amp dual circuit stator is too small the operate an electric PTO but I have seen at one Ariens Zoom 34 using it with an electric PTO.

As far as where to connect the regulator output having the correct original wiring schematic helps.

And now you could still have PTO operation problems if the PTO clutch field windings are partially shorted. I have seen these to be partially shorted and pulling nearly 20 amps and still be working. They normally pull 3-7amps depending on the clutch. I have seen wiring harnesses melted because of this but most times they just discharge the battery until you can't start the mower.