Craftsman DGS 6500 - model sv7355 - Bad coil

jeriw

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, my daughter's husband died a month ago and he left her with lots of broken equipment and over grown 2 1/2 acres. My neighbor has tracked the problem down to a Ignition Module. But finding a replacement for is driving us crazy. I've had lots of place tell me what module we need, some are selling two packs and are conversion kits that will replace both coils. Then I just got an e-mail from a parts place and they suggest a lot of different coils, some say before conversion coils and then also show after conversion modules. I thought maybe someone else has had to replace this part and would be able to steer me in the right direction. I've attached the data tag that gives a lot of information about the motor. It's a 2 cylinder, only one bad cylinder, 26 HP with a 54" deck. It runs until you put a load on the tractor or going up a hill then it just dies but when it is running you can smell that it's burning gas. My 93 year old neighbor is very good at most everything and he tested the cylinder and switched out modules with the one working then the other cylinder doesn't work so it must be the coil. I have so many different modules streaming through my brain and my neighbor's brain it seems impossible for there to be so many different ones that "might" work. Any help would be greatly appreciated before they haul me off in a straight jacket.

Attachments

• kohler engine tag.JPG
    kohler engine tag.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 4

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just go with the 32 707 01-s conversion kit and not try to decipher what has or hasn't been done. Been my experience that most of the time when you change one module you will need to change the other one shorty if not before you get the engine back together. And certain Kohler modules will require you to replace both modules if the new module part number doesn't match the part number of the old module due to changes in how the internal grounding works.

jeriw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just go with the 32 707 01-s conversion kit and not try to decipher what has or hasn't been done. Been my experience that most of the time when you change one module you will need to change the other one shorty if not before you get the engine back together. And certain Kohler modules will require you to replace both modules if the new module part number doesn't match the part number of the old module due to changes in how the internal grounding works.

ILENGINE, thank you very much. I'm just the computer person, my 93 year old neighbor is the one who is doing the work on the tractor for me and telling me what he needs. Don't let his age scare you, he's career military and is unbelievable in what he can and actually does. In fact he's been overhauling a huge neighborhood backhoe. He just has me do the searching for the right parts for him. Again THANK YOU!!!