Craftsman BackPack Leaf Blower No Spark

welchs101

Threads
Hi i have a craftsman backpack leaf blower model 316.794790 and my neighbor gave it to me. He said it has no spark.

I took off the pull chord housing hoping to see where the ignition coil is located........but for the life of me i cant see how to get to the iginition coil.

I can provide pics if this would help.......

welchs101

Threads
here is a picture

Attachments

• CraftsmanBlower.jpg
    CraftsmanBlower.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 49

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would help us if we had the model number of the blower so we could see what it looks like. Trace the spark wire down into the housing to locate the ignition module. Most of those have the module on the same side of the engine as the fan, which will require a complete disassembly including removing the engine from the frame, separating the fan housing and remove the fan to get to the screws behind the fan to remove the housing from the engine.

Looks like you are mostly there. Just make sure you get the nut tight on the fan when you are done since that nut also is the nut that holds the flywheel tight to the crankshaft.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
316.794790 (41AR2BPG799)

You got a lot more disassembly ahead as it is behind the blower assy.

welchs101

Threads
316.794790 (41AR2BPG799)

You got a lot more disassembly ahead as it is behind the blower assy.
How did you know it was behind the blower assembly? I believe you......this is what i was kinda thinking but how did you know? The blower assembly is the side of the blower that is closest to a persons back if they were wearing the blower is this right?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well it is experience for one thing since I work on them for a living and then of course looking the IPL for the model number posted help too.
1641234614047.png
1641234817279.png
Now you know why I charge what I charge to do these. It is a lot work just to get the problem area at times.

Last edited:

welchs101

Threads
what does IPL stand for? based on your diagram suggestion i was able to disassemble blower all the way to image between 19 and 23......see enclosed images.......i see the ignition coil. there are two wires connected to it i think.

?1: can the ignition coil spacing be too close........it does seem to rotate freely not touching but boy does it look close.
?2: how to tell if ignition coil is good.....i know i need to test resistance somewhere but where exactly?

Attachments

• BlowerPic1.jpg
    BlowerPic1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BlowerPic2.jpg
    BlowerPic2.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 16

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How did you know it was behind the blower assembly? I believe you......this is what i was kinda thinking but how did you know? The blower assembly is the side of the blower that is closest to a persons back if they were wearing the blower is this right?
It is actually very common for the flywheel and ignition module to be on the same side of the engine as the blower fan. And that is true for both backpack and handheld blowers. Which also explains why it is not economical to repair most of those units from a dealer standpoint. Labor will eat you alive even if parts are cheap.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
what does IPL stand for? based on your diagram suggestion i was able to disassemble blower all the way to image between 19 and 23......see enclosed images.......i see the ignition coil. there are two wires connected to it i think.

?1: can the ignition coil spacing be too close........it does seem to rotate freely not touching but boy does it look close.
?2: how to tell if ignition coil is good.....i know i need to test resistance somewhere but where exactly?
IPL is the abbreviation for the parts diagram or illustrated parts list. And .010 is a very common air gap clearance between the flywheel and the module legs. And basically the only way to test them is to make sure the kill switch is functioning and you crank it over with a good spark plug. No spark, faulty module. Most units don't have resistance readings for the modules, and in some cases an ohm meter can damage the modules electronics.

Last edited: