Craftsman 917271121 dead

mikesignal

Threads
Hi all. I was attempting to hook up the seat kill switch and now it's dead. Nothing . The kill switch wires were cut, so the mower would stay running while off the seat. I took a set of jumper wires with alligator clips and used them to go from the wires to the seat switch. It started up, then immediately stalled. I must have shorted something together or to ground. How bad did I screw up?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well sorry but if you had looked at the wiring schematic you would found you just disabled the operator present relay and fuel solenoid on carburetor both which must be energized when the operator is on the seat so the ignition kill terminal is no longer grounded and power is supplied to the fuel solenoid. POwer is supplied to both the operator present relay and fuel solenoid as long as BRake/clutch pedal is down and the PTO is off.

Now if you hook 12v to the kill at the ignition coil you just fried the electronics in it.

View attachment 63242

the seat should be black but can shade green/gray Which it is a NO switch instead the NC you expect.
1674332940480.png

mikesignal

Threads
Yes, that is the switch(green). There are 2 wires going to it. Both green, just different shades of green. The wires were cut, with the plug still on the kill switch. I removed the plug from the switch, revealing the 2 blades. I clipped the jumpers from the wires (that were already cut) directly to the blades on the switch. Only thing I could think of is if I reversed the wires. I did not see any smoke or smell anything burning. It just died.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question this wiring cut done by you or the did come in this way?

Last edited:

mikesignal

Threads
I had done it years ago. I couldn't remember when or what I had done, or how the circuit worked, Should have done more research..................... I thought I could just hook the wires back. I had the wires together using wire nuts, with the plug into the switch. The mower ran, but did not shut off when I got off the seat. I thought maybe the wires weren't together good enough with the wire nuts, so I went to the jumpers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay I think I'm on the same page now. Take a test light and see if you have 12 volts at the terminals of the seat switch with the ignition switch in either run position. If not you may have blown the fuse. But we need to work back the ignition switch "B" terminal and test for voltage there first as it could be the ignition switch or a bad wire terminal. THe F56 (Packard) wire terminal do have a spring contact that tends to break with age.

mikesignal

Threads
Okay I think I'm on the same page now. Take a test light and see if you have 12 volts at the terminals of the seat switch with the ignition switch in either run position. If not you may have blown the fuse. But we need to work back the ignition switch "B" terminal and test for voltage there first as it could be the ignition switch or a bad wire terminal. THe F56 (Packard) wire terminal do have a spring contact that tends to break with age.
ok, thanks. I will check it when the rain stops(maybe tomorrow if not tonight). I have it outside under a tarp. They're calling for rain all day here in NC. ... New mower is in the shed. No room for 2,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't feel too left out in the rain. It been raining most of the week here and today is a wash out too. Now of course I can handle that better than the snow and ice forecasted for mid week here in TN.

mikesignal

Threads
With the ignition on, there is no voltage at the wires that feed the seat switch.