Crafsman Lt1000 engine replacement

katbird

Threads
Craftsman 917-271810

Intek 20 HP died. I need to replace it.
Apparently can't buy a direct replacement because the mower is old.

What engine will be compatible and available for this Lt100

I'm open to suggestions, but I don't plan on rebuilding this engine.

katbird

Threads
Craftsman 917-271810

Intek 20 HP died. I need to replace it.
Apparently can't buy a direct replacement because the mower is old.

What engine will be compatible and available for this Lt100

I'm open to suggestions, but I don't plan on rebuilding this engine.
The engine is
BRIGGS& STRATTON ENGINE-MODEL NUMBER 461707, TYPE NUMBER0145-E3
8471 441_

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you know that you are trying to replace a 1984 engine? If the tractor is the same age I would check my brain and $$$$ before sticking any money into it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you know that you are trying to replace a 1984 engine? If the tractor is the same age I would check my brain and $$$$ before sticking any money into it.
It will still be better quality & be made better with thicker steel than anything from 2020
Just put a new engine in a 1980 Greenfields.
Had to make an spacer plate to loft the engine above the steering tie rods but this mower will still be cutting grass in 3020 if we have buggered the planet & killed everything on it by then.

katbird

Threads
Thank you for your input

I do know that it is a 1984 engine, but the frame, deck, and transmission have all been replaced, so unless the cost of an engine is prohibitive, then it might be cheaper than mower payments

And I might be wrong!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oddly enough you can probably buy a used mower with a decent engine for a couple hundred dollars. Folks who pull engines and resell them usually want more for them than the whole mower. Look on craigslist or facebook marketplace. Usually lots of craftsman mowers for sale. If you want to go that route vs. buying a new engine.

Cusser

Threads
I had a bunch of issues with the original B&S engine in my 2005 LT1000. Then one day while mowing maybe 2012, all the oil leaked out and the engine seized. I bought a complete engine online, even had oil filter capability, and it bolted in easily.

Cost was under $500 then, and I've been much happier with the replacement engine, way easier to crank/start than the old one, and I had to always re-adjust the valves on the original engine.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Had no idea Inteks were made that early, I always thought the Intek was the replacement/sucesseor for the I/C..