Converting 1982 10 hp Briggs to electronic ignition?

Craiger

Threads
I've read that B&S switched from points and condenser ignition to electronic in 1982. My 1982 Craftsman lawn tractor (orig. owner) has points and condenser so maybe that's wrong or maybe mine was one of the last old school ignitions. The conversion may have happened midyear? Recently I've seen some videos showing people converting older 7-16 hp B&S engines to electronic ignition. I've done some research that says this can be done, and seen other info that it cannot.

In particular I've found that NAPA Auto Parts sells some conversion kits which say they work on 95% of small engines but "not on ones with multiple magnets inside the flywheel". Well of course my 1982 B&S engine has multiple magnets in the flywheel. I've read that some folks have converted older B&S engines using a newer B&S ignition coil module P/N 398811. Some folks call this an armature. Can anyone tell me if this module can be used to convert my engine? If not, is there another B&S module that would work? The numbers on my engine: Model 220707 Type 0147. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your old coil is in good condition then all you need is the Hall effect trigger unit
Most mower shops sell both the aftermarket Nova unit & the genuine Magnatron unit
Instal as per instructions
If it does not work then flip the coil over the other way

Craiger

Threads
My engine does not have an ignition coil, it has a magneto. In the parts manual Sears calls the device which mounts next to the flywheel the "armature assembly" Not sure if you're talking about an ignition coil or an armature assembly. I checked NAPA and found this link to an Omega electronic ignition conversion kit – https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SME701749 This looks like the NOVA Hall effect kit but NAPA says "not to be used with flywheel with multiple magnets". My flywheel has 12 magnets so this makes me think it won't work on my engine. That's why I was asking in original post about the 398811 coil.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ignition, magneto, and armature refers to the same device. All small engines usually a magneto type ignition (magnet based) except for the battery ignition systems.

Napa is not refer to the stator (alternator) magnets which are inside the flywheels but to the ones on the outside. Usually there is just magnet and Nova system works fine on those setups.

Only other drawback is must use an universal ignitor on the cast iron crankcase model as they use positive ground instead of the negative ground that is more common.

Craiger

Threads
Ignition, magneto, and armature refers to the same device. All small engines usually a magneto type ignition (magnet based) except for the battery ignition systems.

Napa is not refer to the stator (alternator) magnets which are inside the flywheels but to the ones on the outside. Usually there is just magnet and Nova system works fine on those setups.

Only other drawback is must use an universal ignitor on the cast iron crankcase model as they use positive ground instead of the negative ground that is more common.
OK thanks for the explanation. My flywheel has just one magnet on the outside, as you say the other 12 are inside to create AC current in the stator. My crankcase is aluminum so I'll try the Nova II type.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like the 398811 briggs module will work on it.

shadetree#1

Threads
as hiw49 says the 398811 for less than $20 is suppose to work on that engine if it only uses ONE external flywheel magnet going past the coil.
Some old Briggs engines had two magnets outside the flywheel spaced apart by about 1 inch going past the coil and the magnetron breakerless coil would not fit nor work. They were termed 3 legged coil and looked like this one.
Magnets inside the flywheel are for use with a stator winding for charging a battery.
Even the mounting leg dimensions were different on the 3 legged coils and the Magnetron would not bolt down.

Last edited:

kjonxx

Threads
  • / Converting 1982 10 hp Briggs to electronic ignition?
The magnets your refering to under the flywheel are for charging a battery or other use not running.