Convert HRX217 autochoke to manual

JBtoro

Threads
Got my first (used) mower with the autochoke, a "feature" that many folks dislike. I, too, had problems with it's operation even though the thermowax part seemed to be working properly. I decided to see if I could simply convert it to manual since I have a bunch of Honda carb parts that I saved from previous jobs. First thing I noticed was that the handlebar lever decal (orange arrows) did not have an indicator beyond the "rabbit" for Choke as on pre-autochoke models.

1622895932916.png

However, if you play with the throttle adjustment at the engine (orange arrow), and keep an eye on the butterfly movement through the air box cover opening (yellow arrow), you can cause the black lever to move past the "rabbit" and thus the butterfly will now be closed.

1622899958420.png
Next, I replaced the autochoke spacer with a manual choke spacer (below) that I had in my parts stash. It can also be purchase separately or sometimes in a rebuild kit if you don't have one.

1622900069010.png

I now have a manual choke which I much prefer.

Born2Mow

Threads
The "Rabbit" is an indicator of throttle Speed or walking Speed.... not carb Choke.

All the Hondas I've seen have a very nice gray Choke lever atop the air filter housing. Stand on the LH side, over the air filter, and look down. Pull that gray lever completely to the rear (the ON position), and a spring slowly returns the Choke to OFF. You have about 5-8 seconds to pull the cord and crank the engine. If they get sticky, then a little WD-40 fixes it right up.

Since the Honda runs at 1 engine speed it doesn't require much Choke, or for longer than 3-5 seconds.

IMHO, to convert this to manual is a complete waste of time, money, effort, etc. Your time would have been belter spent blowing out the engine fins and replacing the pull cord.

olgeezershonda

Threads
Got my first (used) mower with the autochoke, a "feature" that many folks dislike. I, too, had problems with it's operation even though the thermowax part seemed to be working properly. I decided to see if I could simply convert it to manual since I have a bunch of Honda carb parts that I saved from previous jobs. First thing I noticed was that the handlebar lever decal (orange arrows) did not have an indicator beyond the "rabbit" for Choke as on pre-autochoke models.

View attachment 56834

However, if you play with the throttle adjustment at the engine (orange arrow), and keep an eye on the butterfly movement through the air box cover opening (yellow arrow), you can cause the black lever to move past the "rabbit" and thus the butterfly will now be closed.

View attachment 56836
Next, I replaced the autochoke spacer with a manual choke spacer (below) that I had in my parts stash. It can also be purchase separately or sometimes in a rebuild kit if you don't have one.

View attachment 56837

I now have a manual choke which I much prefer.
Thanks for the how-to. I’m going to bookmark this for future reference after the warranty expires. Like yourself I too prefer the manual choke over the auto.
As for the nice grey choke lever comment it doesn’t exist on my HRX217 nor does it exist on my old HRA215.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just get an after market throttle cable'
Most more shops keep them.
OR
Get a motorcycle choke cable and an old mower throttle lever / choke lever
Lots of them about

olgeezershonda

Threads
Just get an after market throttle cable'
Most more shops keep them.
OR
Get a motorcycle choke cable and an old mower throttle lever / choke lever
Lots of them about
With the above mod there's no need to get another cable, you simply use the existing throttle cable.