Convert Honda GX340 to electric start?

okrobie

Threads
Hello, I recently acquired a Power Stroke generator with a Honda GX340. I would like to make it electric start. I happen to have a GX340 on my junk pile that has electric start. I don't see a flywheel access on the running engine. What will I have to do to make the conversion? (The engine on the junk pile is toast and would require a total rebuild to bring it to life, which I would rather not do.)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
very good, detailed video

okrobie

Threads
Hello scrubcadet10, wow, that is better than I even hoped for. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, Jim

okrobie

Threads
Good morning, I'm making progress, and I have the starter motor mounted. I'll have to do some research before I understand the wiring. I do believe that it's ready to start with the pull cord however. I pulled the cord many times but it wouldn't start, even with starting fluid spray. It seems to be getting fuel as the fuel line and gas filter are full of gas. I also pulled the bowl and it had lots of gas.(and its a brand new carburetor from Amazon) It also has fire. I pulled the plug and wired it up with an alligator clip and a battery clamp and the spark wire from the magneto and I saw spark from the gap when I pulled the cord. Even though there was consistent spark, it didn't seem robust. While I had the plug out, I put a compression gauge in the hole and pulled the cord and saw compression, I couldn't get an actual reading because I couldn't pull the cord and keep the gauge steady at the same time. In fact, it was very hard to pull the cord when the compression gauge was in.

Where do I go next? Thanks, Jim

Last edited:

okrobie

Threads
A little support and encouragement would be welcome

okrobie

Threads
Spark intensity kept varying and finally there was no spark so I ordered a new ignition coil. It should be here Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

HurstGN

Threads
Might also want to put a new plug in when you swap the coil. It's cheap and can't hurt, like doing a preventative maintenance while you have it all apart.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
in the video i linked,he showed how to wire it.

Honda Tech

Threads
Does the coil on your generator look exactly like the coil from your scrap engine? There are several different coils for different GX340 revisions and they are not interchangable.