Contaminated fuel

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I drained a LOT of water out of this badboy. Over 1 gallon from two tanks. The last the last jug I drained has about 1/4 gas. The next gallon only had a small amount in the bottom. The next gallon I didn't see any signs of water.

So here the question: Can I get the gas out of these jugs (using a pump, or carefully pouring) and reuse that gas? (leaving the water). Or is it now completely useless.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Depends. If the fuel was ethanol blends the fuel is useable but will a lot less octane. But usually fuel is bad to start with. Non ethanol gas if fresh should be fine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Removing the ethanol drops the octane by 2 points. so 87 will be 85 and 91 becomes 89 and 93 is 91. People will add water on purpose to remove the ethanol and then siphon off the pure gas for their use, and discard the water/alcohol/remaining gas mix.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This was the first jug. (1/2 gallon from the right tank) The other tank was drained into empty milk jugs that I cleaned out for this purpose. This entire jug is going to get used to start my brushfire. The others, that have less water contaminated, will get used in the mower, mixed with some fresh non ethanol gas.
So thanks for the info. That'll save quite a bit of money. About 8 gallons total.

PS "Rant".... This darn customer is adamant about using his lucas ethanol treatment. So I did some research and found a video of a guy who tested all sort of things dealing with ethanol gas, ethanol treatment and compared them with non ethanol gas. He was using the same Lucas as this customer, I've already advised him on why he should just use non ethanol gas, but to no avail. I have one more trick up my sleeve. I figured the cost of the Lucas, $7 for a 5.25oz bottle) comes to about $150 per gallon. Where as non ethanol gas is only about $1 per gallon over what he's paying for low grade gas, (with ethanol) $4 per gallon vs $150 per gallon. It's really a no brainer.

1668710790066.jpeg

mcostello

Threads
Old Timers, Does chamois remove water from gas? Was told this long ago and do not have any to try it on.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 6 5 gal gas cans that i use. As long as i keep them sealed the regular gas will keep a year and be fine. I normally fill them 4 times a year. I had a couple cans set back for the generator that sat for a year. Gas was fine.