Conquest Problem

brissl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Afternoon,
I'm new here and thank you for allowing me to participate.
I have a Simplicity Conquest with B&S motor that's nearing 20 years old. My problem is the tractor shutting down after mowing for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so. With the mower deck running, it will just shut down for no apparent reason. When I disengage the mower deck and choke the tractor it will (most of the time) restart but when I engage the deck it (most of the time) will shut down again. I've had it to two Simplicity dealers and just had it returned from an independent repair person and it still has not been fixed. The latest attempt replaced the electric clutch and the battery and was delivered back to me last night. I mowed for about an hour today and the same problem arose. After it shut off, a code appeared on the digital readout on the dash. The code read OJPrF5. This code has appeared before, prior to my trying to get it fixed professionally. I tried to find some info related to the code on all the internet sources that I was able to find but was unsuccessful.
Has anyone out there experienced this before or can anyone give me some advice regarding the reason for this and/or a fix?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you,
brissl

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We start by working out how it is shutting down
I rather think it is electrical from what you are saying.
So remove the blower housing and remove the kill wires from the coil
Remove the solenoid from the carburettor and verify that it works, the plunger should retract when ever there is 9 V or better applied to it .
If it works, refit the solenoid , tie the kill wire out of the way so they wont foul on the rotating flywheel , replace the blower housing & go mow
Problem goes away then you have a safety switch problem with the wiring .
Problem remains then we have to check the fuel solenoid
I use a 9V transistor battery that I plug into the solenoid and go mow .
When I don't have that with me I hook the voltmeter to the battery and watch for voltage drop just before the engine cuts out
From what you have written I would suspect that is the reason for the shut down , finding the cause is another matter .
I used to have some short flanged head bolts & O rings that I used to replace the solenoid but I have managed to loose them thus the alternative power supply.

brissl

Forum Newbie
Threads
We start by working out how it is shutting down
I rather think it is electrical from what you are saying.
So remove the blower housing and remove the kill wires from the coil
Remove the solenoid from the carburettor and verify that it works, the plunger should retract when ever there is 9 V or better applied to it .
If it works, refit the solenoid , tie the kill wire out of the way so they wont foul on the rotating flywheel , replace the blower housing & go mow
Problem goes away then you have a safety switch problem with the wiring .
Problem remains then we have to check the fuel solenoid
I use a 9V transistor battery that I plug into the solenoid and go mow .
When I don't have that with me I hook the voltmeter to the battery and watch for voltage drop just before the engine cuts out
From what you have written I would suspect that is the reason for the shut down , finding the cause is another matter .
I used to have some short flanged head bolts & O rings that I used to replace the solenoid but I have managed to loose them thus the alternative power supply.
Good Morning,
Thank you for your suggestions. I will give them a try today. I'm pretty sure you're correct in stating that this is an electrical problem. I failed to mention in the first message that I also get a code on the digital dash of "elect" sometimes when the problem occurs. Do you have any idea where I might find these codes defined? There must be something out there somewhere.
Thanks again,
brissl